Android EngineerApply Now Apply Later Job ID 668174BR Location Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted May. 15, 2019
Job Summary:As an Android Engineer at Disney Streaming Services, you’ll be building solid, scalable and maintainable mobile applications. Our Android team builds apps for phones, tablets, Android TV and Fire TV, as well as connecting with Chromecast, smartwatches and other devices. We primarily work with on-demand streaming video in the sports and entertainment sector. We are looking for someone with 3-5 years of experience in Android/Java and preferably with experience writing code in Kotlin. We are building a new video streaming service for Disney and you can be a part of this! Our European office is based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and we work together with our colleagues in New York and San Francisco.
We are looking for a team player, someone that is good cultural fit for a bunch of bright, fun and professional people. An engineer that can and will propose solutions while keeping our stakeholder's needs in mind. You are proficient with Java and/or Kotlin - most of our new code is written in Kotlin. You should have a strong understanding of the Android application lifecycle, knowledge of Rx and data binding will also be extremely useful. Thinking about application architecture should be second nature and MVC/MVP/MVVM/MVI should be no strangers to you. Of course, you’ll also write unit tests to make sure your code is and remains stable.
Our company is robust and established, but our team is flexible, dynamic and forward thinking. Our Android team is split over three offices. We work together and share knowledge across the global team, but you will mostly work with your local colleagues in the Amsterdam office. Many of us have been part of this team for several years.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of production experience with Java and the Android SDK.
- Experience with Reactive Programming, Dependency Injection and automated testing
- Well versed in architecture patterns like MVC, MVP, MVVM and MVI.
- Good spoken and written English skills. Our main language in the office is English.
- Work from our Amsterdam office (no remote work).
- Experience with streaming video.
- Experience with Android TV and/or Fire TV.
Additional Information:What you’ll love about us
- A competitive salary.
- The opportunity to collaborate with the best in the industry - an amazing team of
- engineers in varying disciplines (Python, Web, iOS)
- 24 days of annual paid vacation.
- A working environment that values equality, diversity, knowledge-sharing and
- personal/professional development
- Opportunities to attend and speak at meetups and conferences
- A running and soccer club.
- Perks: Cosy office in the north of Amsterdam, laptop, catered lunches, fruit, fully stocked
- fridge, beverages, standing desks, and Friday drinks.
- Disney perks: Free/discounted access to the Disney Parks, restaurants, cruises and
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; the upcoming Disney subscription video service; and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Capitals B.V., which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.