Already applied?View Dashboard
Director, CSR & Strategic Initiatives - DLRApply Now Apply Later Job ID 685729BR Location Anaheim, California, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Aug. 22, 2019
The Director, CSR & Strategic Initiatives - The Disneyland Resort (DLR) is responsible for the development and implementation of cross-functional strategies that enhance the reputation of Disneyland Resort and drive business priorities.
We are seeking an accomplished executive to support the development and execution of the growth strategy for DLR. This role requires superior strategic thinking, business development, and land use knowledge, as well as excellent collaboration, project management, communication, and multitasking capabilities.
This leader will construct robust and inclusive plans to identify and support issues management efforts, strategic initiatives, and DLR development projects in concert with internal leaders (in DLR and the Disney Park Experiences & Consumer Products segment) and key industry/community leaders.
Additionally, this role will be responsible for leading site-specific reputation research efforts by working with business partners in the Disney Park Experiences & Consumer Products segment. This effort will help inform business and public affairs leaders as they develop strategies to drive reputation, meet business objectives, execute our growth strategy, and engage in our local community.
The key areas of focus for this role include issues management, stakeholder engagement, research, external affairs strategies land use/development and cross-functional projects. This position will:
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners in the development and implementation of public affairs strategies.
- Work closely with senior leaders, leading the effort to maximize success in the design and implementation of the business strategies.
- Lead site stakeholder and economic impact research and increase understanding of the expectations of general consumers, general public influences, policy elites, Guests, and Cast Members.
- Implement and sustain proactive strategies and initiatives at Disneyland Resort to address stakeholder issues, in partnership with Disney Park Experiences & Consumer Products.
- Issues Management: Manage the issues management process and assist Disneyland Resort in assessing the reputational risks and opportunities. Assess, prioritize, monitor and address potential challenges and risks. Be proactive in identifying strategies and trends that will drive the business and reputation. Elevate emerging issues where appropriate. Provide issues tracking and trend analysis for public affairs and lines of business. Oversee requests for issues briefs on specific topics. Lead the development of strategic plans to address and manage specific issues. Lead project teams associated with the development of issues management plans.
- Strategic Initiatives - Develop and execute Strategic Initiatives programs to better align with proactive and reactive issues management and business objectives.
- Land Use/Development: Develop and execute public affairs strategies that support Disneyland Resort’s business growth through identifying and managing issues, proactively shaping external factors and developing key stakeholder relationships to ensure the successful execution of projects. Work as a key project contributor in concert with The Walt Disney Company Real Estate, Walt Disney Imagineering pre-development and consultants to shepherd land use efforts through the internal, governmental and community outreach process.
- Strategic Communications: Develop positioning, messaging and obtain approvals for specific issue-related and other topics as assigned. Work closely with external communications team to develop strategic communications plans for various stakeholder audiences as appropriate. Create communication pieces as assigned.
- Reputation Management: Manage Disneyland Resort’s reputation and economic research and leverage information to develop plans to enhance effectiveness of public affairs efforts and programs.
- Best Practices: Advise leadership on global best practices with respect to public affairs. Monitor and analyze the strategies, policies and programs of other companies and track marketplace trends.
- Business Integration: Develop public affairs capabilities within the organization. Educate and link different groups and functions. Ensure the implementation of policies, strategies and programs in concert with the Disney Park Experiences & Consumer Products global team.
- Leadership: Direct the coordination of cross-functional public affairs initiatives. Ensure that programs, initiatives, and related activities are successfully executed. Direct the day-to-day management of processes and programs to ensure that goals are maximized and resources are used effectively and efficiently. Serve as a subject-matter-expert and provide counsel for site-specific programs.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Build strategic alliances and coalitions with key constituency groups (local and national social, and environmental leaders) whose work and missions are aligned with the company’s priorities and advance identified business objectives/priorities.
- Significant years of proven experience in one of the key disciplines: communications, public affairs, issues management or government relations
- Prior experience in devising and/or implementing public affairs programs
- Knowledge and extensive experience with land use issues, including entitlements efforts, coalition building and outreach
- Experience working for elected officials, industry relations association, regulatory/governmental agency, and/or land use firm
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate trends and issues in business and society that affect the Company’s reputation and business
- Excellent written communications skills; excellent verbal skills, including public speaking, meeting facilitation and presentations
- Demonstrated research skills, including ability to analyze and interpret data.
- Strong business and financial acumen
- Proven strong conflict management skills
- Demonstrated project management, problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to partner with and influence others and ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work in a fast-paced/complex organization
- Resilient and able to adapt to significant challenges.
- Previous experience with The Walt Disney Company
- Previous Experience negotiating major agreements and dealing with complex legal issues
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, business, political science or related field or equivalent work experience
- JD, MBA or advanced degree in relevant field
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.