Lead Tech Project MgrApply NowApply Later Job ID 10025953 Location Anaheim, California, United States Business Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Nov. 02, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Lead Technical Project Manager
Parks, Experiences and Products
Location: Anaheim, CA
Disney Parks, Experiences & Products (DPEP) Technology combines custom and vendor technological solutions along with creativity to produce robust applications that enhance all aspects of the Cast Members’ and Theme Parks and Resort Guests’ experiences. Disney seeks forward-thinking technologists who are passionate about delivering quality technology products and enjoy working closely with business partners on strategic and tactical challenges.
The Lead Technical Project Manager for the Lodging Technology Experiences team provides a unique opportunity for someone to join a high-paced and fast-growing team to partner with enterprise-scale cross-functional teams in the hospitality technology space, managing and delivering lodging technologies and solutions to the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim. To be successful, this candidate must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, be able to work independently as a self-starter, utilize good time management skills, and be able to quickly lead a diverse team of talented individuals to deliver programs and projects of all sizes. Further, this candidate must possess experiences in combining technical skills, project/program management skills, as well as strong business acumen to support users and leaders of varying levels of domains, skills, and knowledge, to drive the delivery of technology projects to successful completion.
If you enjoy a high velocity work environment where you can maximize your technical knowledge and project management expertise to deliver magical experiences for our resort guests, the LTE team is right for you!
As a Lead Technical Project Manager on the Lodging Technology Experiences team, your over-arching objective is to lead multiple project managers to deliver concurrent initiatives that meet the intended time and scope commitment. Specifically, you will be managing and delivering innovative products and solutions in support of the Disneyland Resort technology portfolio. This will include planning, tracking, and overseeing deliverables by both internal and vendor resources. The ideal candidate has a proven track-record of leading multiple concurrent projects and/or project managers. This role requires you to utilize established project management experiences to ensure each project is on-track with adequate resources, budgets, and timeline for success. The projects delivered by your teams are diverse in complexity and life cycle; they require close partnerships with other internal and external groups and organizations; demand broad technical and business understanding.
The Lead Technical Project Manager is expected to:
- Delivers results cross-functional project initiatives, of all sizes, within established timeframes and quality measures
- Utilizes advanced level project management skills and extensive knowledge of the System Development Lifecycle (SDLC) methodologies to manage assigned projects
- Ability to manage projects without extensive knowledge of the subject matter
- Consults with business leaders to translate a project idea into a defined project(s) with goals, objectives, scope, epics, stories, & etc.
- Identifies resources needed, negotiates with people managers as required to formulate a project team to ensure the clarity of project roles and responsibilities, so that all projects have the appropriate resources, agreed upon ownerships, responsibilities, and scope
- Prioritizes tasks to meet deliverables and commitments on timeline
- Proactively identifies barriers and resolves issues, determining (and executing, as needed) contingency plans, while mitigating risks.
- Experienced in communicating with technical and product leadership about project risk and roadmap changes, proactively working with technical teams to look for ways to mitigate and adjust where possible.
- Accurately time the escalation of issues to the appropriate audiences for awareness and/or additional support
- Manages project quality through activities such as conducting appropriate reviews, obtaining approvals, and taking corrective actions when necessary
- Works with the LTE Product team to ensure proper projects are represented on shared roadmaps and identifying concerns of capacity and inter-dependencies
Project Communication and Documentation
- Develops and implements communication cadences and reporting mechanisms to manage issues, risks, mitigations, as well as the timely delivery of initiative results.
- Translates project goals and objectives into a defined, and documented, future state and project success measurements that can be understood by project stakeholders, project team, and others
- Ensures business needs and scopes are effectively captured in functional and non-functional business requirements and/or user stories for a system, process, or workflow
- Oversees business requirements to meet expected business solutions and traces delivery of requirements through testing to final implementation
- Understands business requirement management and drives quality management to provide expected business solutions
- Communicates with both technical and business users, with the ability to gracefully handle passionate conversations
- Create and maintain documentation, procedures, and work instructions for development or operations team
- Establish programs delivery roadmap and project management processes, and be able to critique their impact and adjust for improvement; Identify, analyze, prioritize, mitigate and communicate project risks to internal and external partners
- Owns and leads large development programs and teams where a project comprises of many components from ideation through implementation.
- Leads team members in the delivery of technology solutions to meet business delivery expectations, maintain portfolio currency, and integrate best engineering practices
- Proactively establishes and maintains cooperative and productive cross-functional partnerships on current projects and deliverables while preparing for future project opportunities
- Balances competing demands for quality, scope, time, as well as cost
- Organizes and directs the activities of internal and cross-functional project teams
- Ensures that project members’ time and experience are well utilized
- Proactively drives and recommends alternatives/options to minimize any schedule delay
- Adapts and attends to different concerns and expectations of stakeholders
- Shares project experience/knowledge and mentor others across the enterprise to help build project management skills
- Works with Product and Business teams to ensure proper projects are represented on shared roadmaps and identifying capacity concerns
- Works with engineering leads to identify and plan for technical advancements and improvements to long term programs/projects delivery while delivering major projects
- Coordinates with third party product configurator to oversee technical decisions, product configuration, customization, and implementation of business features
- Oversees, influences, and mentors collaborative project teams, inclusive of on-shore and off-shore development resources and other technical groups in the organization
- Works closely with technical and non-technical leaders to strategize on delivery approach and dependency management
- Participate in the design process of new features and enhancements to various products and/or platforms
- Be highly flexible to quickly changing business needs and adoption of new technologies
- Exercises creativity to dynamically evaluate business needs and make suggestions to meet those needs
- Participates in the Manager-on-Duty (MOD) rotation cycle/schedule to provide technical support and guidance
- Well-established in technical project management, having a minimum of eight (8) years of enterprise-scale technical program/project management experience
- A minimum of five (5) years of agile project/program and software product release management
- 5+ years of progressively related experience in managing and delivering the design, development, and implementation phase of highly scalable, high-volume software products, that are mobile, cloud-based/SaaS, and/or customer-facing
- 5+ years of IT experience, preferably in large scale digital or business transformations, programs delivery, product support, & etc., combined with business domain expertise such as business management and ownership of end-to-end projects delivery and communications to senior leadership
- 3+ years of leading other project managers to successfully deliver concurrent large-scale projects
- Extensive experience in project management methodologies and frameworks without being dogmatic about any single way of doing things
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to facilitate multiple parties working collaboratively and efficiently
- Advanced analytical skills and demonstrated ability to quantify business questions
- Proven exceptional problems solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to dive deep into ambiguous challenges and deliver actionable insight
- Excellent facilitation and elicitation skills alongside abilities to effectively articulate difficult ideas and concepts through clear and concise verbal or written communication
- Extensive knowledge/understanding of SDLC methodologies
- Proven exceptional ability to work effectively in a dynamic, rapidly changing business and technical environment
- Proven exceptional ability to negotiate tradeoffs effectively with business and IT partners on business requirements and timeframes on large initiatives
- Exceptional ability in identifying and applying different communication mediums based on content and audience at all levels (both internal and external to Disney) to achieve intended goal
- Experienced in collecting, reviewing, and updating requirements and/or user stories
- Experienced in writing technical documentation and user stories
- Extensive experience in SCRUM and other Agile development practices.
- Proven technical leadership, with the ability to inspire and coach other technical members to perform at their highest potential.
Technical Skills Required:
- Advanced skillsets in SmartSheet, Jira, Confluence, Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, Project, and SharePoint
- Advanced skillsets in Microsoft Teams, Slack, and other communication platforms
- Foundational knowledge of any/multiple of the followings are preferred:
- Knowledge of microservices, RESTful Web Services and/or API
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming with an understanding of design principles
- Knowledge of event driven architecture
- Reliable knowledge of monitoring tools such as Splunk, AppDynamics, and New Relic
- Advanced documentation skills such as:
- Creation of Executive-level presentations
- Expert in creating timelines, roadmaps, and other graphical representations of overview, qualitative, and quantitative information
- Various issues, risks, and action trackers
- Epics and user stories life-cycle management
Soft Skills & Other Requirements
- Ability to handle virtual teams and work with resources in multiple sites (onsite, offshore, near shore) and across multiple time-zones
- Obsession with the delivery of quality technological projects, regardless of the challenges
- Proven ability to facilitate meetings, meet tight deadlines, and to prioritize workload
- Demonstrated curiosity to learn complex new subjects quickly and earn business partners’ trust
- Ability to work independently and self-motivated in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
- Must be detail-oriented, self-organized, be committed to quality and be capable of tracking multiple issues simultaneously
- Excellent time management skills
- Extensive knowledge of Disney's products and businesses is preferred
- Experience working at large technology organizations
- Prior work experience in the hospitality industry
- Experience with Property Management System in a SaaS environment.
- Experience with hotel room key technology
- Experience in mobile application development and release management
- Experience in payment integration and industry standards
- Experience in developing integrations under HTNG schema
- Experience in grand opening of a new hotel property
- Experience in IOT in the hospitality industry
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar field or related work experience.
About Disney Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Disney Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Attractions Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Parks, Experiences and Products.
Walt Disney Attractions Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.