Already applied?View Dashboard
Senior Manager, Labor RelationsApply Now Apply Later Job ID 703321BR Location Anaheim, California, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Sep. 11, 2019
The Senior Manager, Labor Relations (LR) strategically leads a team of Labor Relations professionals while collaborating as a segment team member for both Disneyland and Walt Disney World. The position is based in Anaheim, California. Key elements of the role are to negotiate collective bargaining agreements, provide guidance to all levels of Company leaders regarding contract and policy interpretation, serve as a critical thought partner for activation of business growth initiatives and effects bargaining, grievances, arbitrations and agency charges. Collaboration within the Human Resources Diversity and Inclusion (HRDI) community is essential.
- Provide day-to-day leadership to Labor Relations professionals by providing guidance on labor acumen and business strategy, modeling effective leadership traits and delivering performance accountability and feedback.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for property-wide leaders, clients and partners.
- Promote knowledge, understanding, interpretation and bargaining of multiple Collective Bargaining Agreements, Company policies and relevant employment laws through consulting, influencing, negotiations, training and presentations.
- Engage with leaders across the organization to strategically prepare for and engage in contract negotiations and effects bargaining based on significant business growth initiatives.
- Develop the strategy and delivery plan for the core Labor Relations services in order to provide business solutions, tools, and resources to effectively apply collective bargaining agreements while positively supporting business objectives and the employee experience.
- Collaborate with other Human Resources functional team members through an immersive approach to assess key business drivers, organizational effectiveness and develop and implement integrated action plans. Provide credible expertise to advance Human Resources and Operations priorities.
- Partner closely with Employee Relations, HR Business Partners and engage Legal counsel to strategically incorporate a holistic approach to grievances, arbitrations, agency charges and impending legal matters.
- Analyze Labor Relations data/metrics for themes, trends and root cause identification. Share findings with key partners in order to develop an integrated plan and approach to enhance effectiveness.
- Develop professional relationships and engage with union affiliates.
- Interact and work with team members from Security, Public Affairs, Advisory & Assurance, Risk Management, Work Force Management and Operations Integration to provide labor input and incorporate brand considerations
- Represent the Company as an advocate in grievances, arbitrations as well as interface with state and federal administrative agencies as needed
- Serve as a role model, and demonstrate the value proposition for diversity and inclusion, to include organizational vibrancy, advocating the company’s culture and heritage
- Be a change agent to continually maximize departmental innovation and effectives
- Direct understanding and ability to apply all aspects of the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) as well as employment and human resources related laws, regulations, policies, principles, concepts and practices, including but not limited to Title VII, EEO, ADA and FMLA; and, associated employment laws in the state of California
- Proven experience in negotiations preparation, bargaining, implementation and administration of Collective Bargaining Agreements; preferably proven experience as Chief Negotiator
- Effective ability to strategically develop a comprehensive approach to multi-contract initiatives and proposals that require labor and operational assessments for alignment vs. differentiation as well as cadenced timing
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate under dynamic and adverse conditions with a strategic forward-thinking and resilient approach
- Commitment to foster effective professional relations with a wide representation of union affiliates
- Effective ability to support a client system regarding all aspects of labor relations functions including providing counsel on employee performance matters, training and education, effects bargaining, continuous improvement and trend analysis
- Practical knowledge and proven employment related practices such as grievance advocacy, arbitrations and agency charges
- Minimum of three (3) years, working in and contributing to a collaborative team
- Proven capability to confidently lead others by setting goals, objectives and expectations, providing guidance and holding others accountable
- Superb attributes and proven abilities in issue identification, sound strategic problem-solving, creativity, influencing, conflict resolution and root-cause identification
- Proven business acumen with ability to showcase analytical thinking
- Proven ability to effectively manage conflict and challenge thinking of leaders, peers, subordinates and partners
- Professional assertiveness and confidence to interact and provide counsel/guidance to all levels of Leadership regarding employee performance, business changes, risk analysis and workplace optimization
- Ability to work collaboratively, lead and influence at all levels within the organization, and impact decisions while keeping partners and leaders informed
- Ability to portray a professional demeanor and engage with unions regarding complex issues and unpredictable dynamics
- Driven by a can-do attitude, ambitious assertiveness and resilience to work through complex and evolving initiatives; be an advocate to creatively identify options and support workplace enhancements
- Demonstrated effective verbal communication and technical writing skills are essential
- Demonstrated strong integration skills
- Confident presentation abilities to deliver Executive report-outs, facilitate training courses, lead meetings and engage in multi-faceted work groups
- Proven experience in applying project management techniques to drive efficient and action-oriented results; managing multiple projects and work streams simultaneously is paramount
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-tasking, deadline-driven environment via mastered organizational and time management practices
- Law or Advanced degree
- Successful negotiating and collective bargaining experience in employment sectors representing service/hospitality, entertainment, craft maintenance, security or transportation operations
- Ability to speak and write multiple languages
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in field of Industrial Labor Relations, Labor Law or equivalent
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.