Senior Network Engineer (Business Network Design Services)
Anaheim, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 774534BR Location Anaheim, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Feb. 20, 2021
Job Summary:Disney Enterprise Technology is responsible for technology strategy and management, central engineering, architecture, IT and technical operations for The Walt Disney Company. Business Network Design Services (“BNDS”) is a network team within Enterprise Technology that designs and implements network infrastructure to directly support business units including LAN, MAN, WAN, internet, WiFi, and voice network services. BNDS engineers work closely with other technical teams to provide the network services, including the strategy/architecture team, network operations, global information security, wireless and cloud teams among others. This is an opportunity to build networks for Disney Park’s, Experiences & Products working alongside Walt Disney Imagineers and technologists throughout the organization. We are seeking a dynamic individual who is a problem solver, creative, has a strong sense of ownership and initiative, collaborates and communicates effectively, and is interested in continually learning new networking technologies.
Responsibilities:The Sr. Network Engineer (“SNE”) provides network design and consulting services to business units and peer groups, develops network design plans, and drives implementation of network solutions. As such, it is a hybrid role requiring a balance of technical, people and project skills.
- Consulting: meet regularly with business unit technologists to understand technical strategy, gather requirements, and translate requirements into technology solutions. This requires relationship building / management skills, planning, customer service, and problem-solving skills in serving as an interface between Enterprise Tech and the Business Units.
- Analysis & Proposals: arrange information effectively into solutions alternatives and present them to leadership and the Business Units. This requires accounting for multiple aspects of design solutions including technical, cost/financial, process, security and ongoing support.
- Design: prepare technical designs leveraging Disney’s architecture & design standards. This can include a mix of standard document writing, network diagrams, or contribution to configuration automation. Write Scope of Work documents to guide 3rd party implementers who will conduct the hands-on configuration of network devices; prepare other documentation as necessary regarding the infrastructure to be deployed.
- Implementation: prepare documentation in order to execute on the design plans; own the on-time, on-budget implementation of the solution, including oversight of 3rd party implementers and other Disney project team members.
- New Technology Evaluation: on occasion, assist the architecture team to evaluate new technology solutions; provide practical and Business Unit-oriented perspective to the selection of new technology and adoption of processes.
What this position is not:
- Operations: this is not an operations position; there are few if any duties related to operating the network or performing break-fix activities beyond perhaps consulting on the intended design. Prior operations experience is highly valuable, however.
- Hands-On: this position does not require hands-on configuration of devices, although the engineer is expected to have some of this knowledge ideally from prior experience. The Sr. Network Engineer will develop plans to hand over to 3rd party implementers to conduct the hands-on work.
- Security: this is not specifically a Security position, although security is of the highest importance in The Walt Disney Company, and the position requires understanding of and adherence to Disney and industry security practices. The candidate must possess a strong network engineering & consulting foundation.
- 7+ years in an enterprise environment that operates 7x24 services to multiple business units with a progression of responsibilities spanning network operations, implementation, design, and architecture.
- Technical leadership experience in a large, complex enterprise (e.g, at least 10-15k users but preferably 50k+ users).
- Architecting world-class, large-scale data networks for global enterprises that maximize security, performance, scalability, and cost-effectiveness.
- Working with business units to rapidly develop and implement solutions.
- Building and supporting enterprise LANs, MANs, WANs, VPNs, and remote access solutions in a variety of topologies.
- Programming experience to simplify, automate, or orchestrate any network tasks.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to work effectively with a wide range of stakeholders in highly matrixed environment.
- Ability to prioritize work and manage time effectively.
- Ability to work in a highly visible fast paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Positive, collaborative, supportive, problem-solving approach to working with others.
- The candidate must have intermediate to advanced data networking skills and experiences, both hands-on and theoretical.
- Working knowledge of LAN/MAN/WAN topologies & platforms, routing protocols, current data center architectures, DNS/DHCP, IPAM, multicast, VRF, QoS, etc.
- Basic or intermediate programming skills in Python or other contemporary toolset/language.
- Media/Entertainment/Theme Park industry experience is beneficial.
- Additional technology experience outside of data networking is beneficial.
- Experience with multiple vendor switching, routing, and security products (i.e. not just Cisco).
- Data center and/or cloud network design experience is beneficial.
- College-level education is desired but not absolutely required. A 4-year STEM degree would be ideal.
- At least two manufacturer certifications in the areas of switching/routing, firewalls, IPS, load balancers, and other related network technology – or equivalent and demonstrable knowledge. Preferred Certifications: Cisco CCNP, CCNA Industrial, ITILv3 Foundations
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.