Explore more roles by using our guided searches:SHIPBOARD » ISLAND » SHORESIDE »
Island Environmental ManagerApply NowApply Later Job ID 1101201BR Location Bahamas Business Disney Cruise Line Date posted Apr. 30, 2023
· Supervise implementation of company environmental policy and procedures (waste management; pollution prevention/response; hazardous materials and chemical purchase, storage, use) and sees that the island is operated in compliance with all Bahamian environmental regulations and to the extent possible U.S regulations.
· Report on environmental matters and any defects or non-compliance to the Island Director and shore side Environmental partners
· Serve as the island’s environmental resource person
· Provide training for Crew on environmental responsibilities using all available resources
· Maintain required environmental logs and records and verify proper record keeping by departments. I.E. sewage treatment plant monitoring, refrigerant records, RWF public health records.
o Personally maintain waste management and disposal records; potable water coliform testing records
· Oversee the Recreational Water Facilities operation including maintaining chemical levels, chlorination/cleaning logs and other public health requirements
· Supports the island in finding innovative ways to reduce waste and increase recycling.
· Works closely with the onboard Environmental Officers on environmental matters between ship and island.
· Collect and report out Disney Corporate EARTH data to shoreside ensuring quality assurance
· Coordinate Environmental Committee meetings and report at least monthly
· Oversees that waste water treatment and disposal is carried out with local regulations and the standards laid out by the Company.
· Confer with the Manager, Environmental Operations on current environmental issues
· Communicate with shore Environmental Committee to provide input to Marine and Technical Operations and Safety, Security and Environmental Policy and Compliance for revisions to SMS 7-2 Island Environmental.
· Oversees the bunkering of fuel for the island in accordance with the Safety and Environmental Policy and Procedures
· Oversees operation of all environmental equipment and in accordance with company standards reporting defects to the island maintenance team.
· Notify applicable Leaders of new regulations or procedures.
· Coordinate training and routine drills for the Spill Response Teams for HazMat and Oil and see that appropriate response equipment is ordered and maintained.
· Manage waste processing spaces and waste storage areas (clean and organized)
· Owns and manages the Safetec Chemical Approval system to see that chemicals are purchased and approved in a controlled way so that chemicals with an environmental impact are controlled and excluded
· Responsible for SDS management on the island and sees that the latest version of the Safety Data Sheet is available on all crew computers via the Safetec kiosk
· Sees that policies and procedures are adhered to with respect to collection, processing, storage, and proper disposal of all waste streams
· Supervises ordering, loading, labeling, storage, use and proper offload/disposal of hazardous materials
· Island specialist on environmental matters- supervises island implementation of the Company’s Environmental Policy and procedures and verifies that the island is operated in compliance with applicable national laws, including all required logs and records
· Train island department Managers and Crew who are responsible for compliance with environmental requirements and monitor/coordinate their actions
· Oversee and coordinate the company’s corporate environmental goals on the island for greenhouse gas emission reductions, water conservation, and diversion from landfill and incineration.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in Environmental Management or related field
- Experience in disease outbreak management and response
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Chemistry, Environmental Science or related field
- Proficient in Windows applications and email
- Experience in facilitating training and instruction sessions for small and large groups
- Detail oriented individual
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Knowledge of Safety and Environmental practices
This role is based on Disney’s private island in the Bahamas, Castaway Cay.
Be interested in living and working on a private island in the Bahamas
Be willing to follow and perform safety role, emergency duties and/or associated responsibilities
Be willing and able to uphold the general safety management responsibilities specified in areas and operations under their control
Be willing to follow and embrace Environmentality requirements and Company practices
Be appreciative of working and living in a multi-cultural environment
Be comfortable living in a confined space with strict rules and regulations
Adhere to a structured lifestyle, personally and professionally
Obtain a criminal background check
Bring approved work shoes
**Disney Cruise Line is a drug-free workplace. All new hires are required to undergo drug/alcohol testing within the first week onboard and throughout their contracts. Failure to pass the drug/alcohol testing will result in immediate termination.
About Disney Cruise Line:
A leader in the cruise industry, Disney Cruise Line provides a setting where families can reconnect, adults can recharge and children can experience all the magic that Disney has to offer. Guests can sail out of ports around the world on exciting itineraries to the Caribbean, Bahamas, Alaska and Europe, among others. Aboard the fleet of five ships – the Disney Magic, Disney Wonder, Disney Dream, Disney Fantasy and Disney Wish – and Disney’s private island paradise in the Bahamas - Castaway Cay, crew members provide guests with unparalleled service, enchanting storytelling and immersive family entertainment that only Disney can deliver.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with DCL Island Development, Ltd, which is part of a business we call Disney Cruise Line.