Software Development Engineer in Test - Video Quality
Beijing, - ChinaApply NowApply Later
Job ID oM9Hbfwx Location Beijing, Beijing Municipality, Mainland China Business Hulu Date posted Nov. 10, 2020
Hulu’s Video Quality team is seeking a Software Development Engineer in Test who will be an extraordinary addition to our team! As an SDET at Hulu, you will be a domain expert in video streaming quality, including rebuffer rate, video playback failure rate, video startup failure, and other playback quality of service KPIs. You will play an integral role in defining test strategies, building test automation, investigating/reporting bugs, and collaborating across the Engineering team to release quality software with high confidence in the pursuit of delighting our viewers. Your work will improve functionality, availability, scalability, performance, extensibility, and compatibility of our internal systems. You will setup test automation frameworks, build quality-related tools, and engineer efficient and maintainable test infrastructure. The right person has a strong attention to detail, takes accountability for the definition and delivery of high quality work, demonstrates a strong sense of collaboration in their work and professional relationships, clearly and thoughtfully communicates in their areas of expertise, and empathizes with and advocates for the needs of customers. If you are someone who effectively moves between high-level concepts and low-level execution, then this is a great role for you!
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Develop scalable automated testing strategies
- Define/implement/maintain test automation for the Video Quality team, relating to the collection/aggregation/analysis/reporting/alerting of video data and playback quality of service
- Identify and drive improvements in engineering methodologies to ensure industry-leading system quality and team efficiency
- Contribute to the release process for the Video Quality team
- Perform root cause analysis for issues in production/test environments, report defects, and advocate for their resolution
- Propose regression tests to discover recurring issues and drive tests to “automation complete”
- Collaborate with program managers and software developers to define requirements and ensure testability
- Collaborate with partner teams to understand upstream/downstream dependencies, and to facilitate development of integration/end-to-end tests
WHAT TO BRING
- Bachelor’s degree or the foreign equivalent in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Information Technology, or a closely related field plus 4 years of progressive experience in a software testing (SDET) and/or software development (SDE) occupation, including manual/automated testing of backend services and REST APIs.
- Proficiency programming in, at a minimum, one of the following languages with an interest in learning additional languages, as needed: Python, Java, Golang, Kotlin, C/C++, or similar
- Experience with stored procedures/SQL queries
- Experience with backend test automation frameworks (E.g. pytest, REST Assured, etc.)
- Proficient with version control software (E.g. GitHub) and issue/project tracking software (E.g. Jira)
- Proficient with software development/debugging tools (E.g. Postman)
- Some experience with Jenkins or similar build tools
- Experience with qTest or similar test suite/case/run management tools
- Experience with Locust, Gatling, or similar frameworks for the purposes of developing performance and reliability test automation coverage
- Highly experienced in defining/executing/maintaining test cases and experience with building out test plans for backend services
- Deep understanding of quality-related agile methodologies and experience using them during the SDLC
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (E.g. diagramming system behavior)
- Experience with and understanding of OTT media services, adaptive bitrate streaming (E.g. MPEG-DASH, HLS fMP4), multi-CDN switching, video codecs (E.g. H.264), encryption (E.g. MPEG-CENC), ad insertion (E.g. SCTE-35), and DRM (E.g. PlayReady)
- Experience using ffmpeg and other audio/video/streaming libraries
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Spinnaker, and CICD
- Experience with Kafka
- Experience developing advanced mocking mechanisms (E.g. rule-based proxies)
- Some experience developing web applications, RESTful APIs, data models, etc.
Hulu is the leading premium streaming service offering live and on-demand TV and movies, with and without commercials, both in and outside the home. Operating at the intersection of entertainment and technology, Hulu has a unique opportunity to be the number one choice for TV. We captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love, and we're looking for people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking, and embracing fun. Join us and see what Hulugan life is all about.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Hulu, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Hulu.
It is the policy of the Company to provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, family status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, covered veteran status, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, nationality/ethnicity, migrant worker status, carrier of infectious diseases status, or any other category of persons to the extent provided by law. This policy extends, but is not limited, to recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, layoff, termination, rate of pay, and other forms of compensation, education, and training.