Senior Software Engineer
Bangalore, 10 - INApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 701586BR Location Bengaluru, Karnataka, India Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 05/09/2019
Job Summary:Overall Purpose of the Role :
The Walt Disney Company has a rich tradition of creating innovative products and magical experiences for millions of people around the world. Software Engineers are at the heart of that innovation and magic, building platforms, services, tools and infrastructure for an unmatched collection of content and brands such as ABC, Disney, and ESPN.
The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-To-Consumer and International (DTCI) is a new, global business segment for The Walt Disney Company with the mission of providing consumers around the world access to the content they want most, on the latest platforms, at a time of rapidly-evolving consumer habits.
The Platform Engineering team within Disney’s DTCI organization develops the data, API foundation, and tools that power all our products, and delivers solutions that are highly scalable, secure, easy to use, and high-quality. This includes content management systems, distribution APIs, messaging systems, data ingest pipelines and personalization platforms.
As a member of the Platform Engineering team, the Senior Software Engineer works collaboratively with multiple teams in different timezones, supporting our backend systems and helping create platforms that power our online products and services.
- Demonstrate determination in finding solutions to complex puzzles
- Value learning and being exposed to new experiences
- Are passionate about software development
- Employ positive thinking and are able to work constructively in a diverse team setting
- Can adapt and evangelize best practices
… then working at Disney is unlike anything else. We have the latest technology, game-changing ideas, and world-class talent. Come be a part of our team and help us find new ways to interact with users, however and wherever they connect with our brands
- Create and maintain robust, secure, scalable and efficient backend services, following standards and best practices.
- Ensure created services are sustainable and operationally fit for purpose, with appropriate documentation and test coverage.
- Gain deep understanding of new technologies quickly, and where necessary educate other staff members in best practices for their use.
- Work collaboratively with local and remote teams on technical projects and product improvements.
- Participate in Agile-based work scheduling including sprint planning, sizing and retrospectives.
- Deliver on-time results both as an individual contributor and in a team environment.
- Participate in an on-call rotation
- Excellent knowledge of Core Java and Object Oriented Programming
- Good working knowledge of
- Spring Ecosystem (IOC concepts, Spring Boot, Spring Data)
- RESTful web services and JSON
- Deploying and maintaining services in a Linux-based environment
- Testing frameworks like JUnit
- Strong understanding of server side software scalability, performance and reliability
- Basics of distributed databases (CAP theorem, ACID/BASE properties)
- Experience in agile software development
- Must demonstrate solid organization/communication skills
- Must be a self-starter who can drive projects forward
Preferred Qualifications:Preferred Requirement:
- Experience with one or more the following technologies would be advantageous:
- NoSQL (Mongo DB would be a plus)
- AWS (EC2, RDS, Monitoring)
- Application containers (Docker)
- Confluent Kafka/Zookeeper Stack
- Terraform or Cloudformation
- Knowledge of Cricket, Rugby, Formula1, Soccer and sports in general a plus
- Experience with Apache webserver configuration and Perl programming
- BE/BS/MCA/MS in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical degree
- 4+ years’ experience
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Direct-to-Consumer and International, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.