Associate Editor Audience EngagementApply NowApply Later Job ID 10061997 Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States / Los Angeles, California, United States / Town of Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business ESPN Date posted Sep. 11, 2023
The Associate Editor Audience Engagement will be primarily responsible for curation and maintenance of ESPN.com's content feeds, mainly interior sports content landing pages. On a daily basis, this person will assess content from a variety of sources (stories, videos, streams, scores) to determine how it fits into our daily news coverage and programming needs. The editor evaluates all sport page copy, headlines, art and video and works to package this content in a manner that is dynamic enough to entice users to delve deeper into the site. Must have excellent news judgment and a keen eye for audience engagement strategies. Must show good judgment in prioritizing content for a national audience.
This position will require working a mix of nights and weekends. Location can be Bristol, CT or Los Angeles, CA.
- The Associate Editor will be responsible for the curation of content across multiple feeds on a given day. This includes the main feeds, as well as navigation points.
- The Associate Editor will assess content across multiple formats (stories, videos, streams, scores) and program that content using audience engagement strategies and news judgment
- Along with the daily programming roles, the Associate Editor will be involved in short and long-term editorial planning, creating programming strategies specifically tailored to the content and audience consumption patterns.
- The Associate Editor will collaborate and communicate with content partners on daily programming plans, taking into account priorities across departments.
- The Associate Editor is accountable for presenting accurate information across feeds, responding quickly to breaking news and testing headlines, as necessary.
- Minimum of 1 year working in a high-level media environment
- Possess working knowledge of all sports, including fantasy and gambling areas. This includes not just on-field expertise, but a knowledge of the cutting-edge thoughts, trends and writers covering the sport.
- Understand and follow closely the latest in fan engagement data and key performance metrics to optimize content creation and distribution to fans.
- Strong understanding and appreciation of news and story play.
- Excellent headline writing skills
- Work quickly and juggle multiple varied tasks during a typical work day.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in online media content preparation. Applicants must have the ability to work in a rapidly changing online environment and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Sports takes place on nights, weekends and holidays -- and those shifts will be regular and required.
- Have a background or quickly become competent in HTML.
- High School Diploma
- Bachelors Degree in communication arts, journalism or new media or equivalent combination of education experience.
The hiring range for this position in Los Angeles, CA is $44,666.00 - $82,955.00 per year based on a 40 hour work week. The amount of hours scheduled per week may vary based on business needs. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Enterprises, Inc, which is part of a business we call ESPN.
ESPN Enterprises, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.