Deputy Editor, NFLApply NowApply Later Job ID 10011896 Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States / Town of Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business ESPN Date posted Aug. 03, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
The NFL Deputy Editor is a managerial job overseeing editorial operations for ESPN Digital Media’s NFL coverage, which includes news, features, analysis, game assignments and coverage, and special projects. The position manages both people and process, and requires a deep understanding of a 24/7 news environment that includes desktop, mobile, social and personalized platforms. This role is responsible for editing and tactical planning, providing vision and direction for our NFL coverage, and integrating with cross-platform entities including television, radio, production, etc. This job can be based in either Bristol, CT or Los Angeles, CA.
- Direct a staff of managers, editors and reporters in a highly competitive, rapidly changing environment.
- Work to bring a distinctive, compelling and authentic voice to all Digital Media products.
- Provide editing support on everything from features to news reaction and game coverage.
- Develop comprehensive multimedia coverage that includes video, audio, text and interactivity, and partnership with all appropriate ESPN properties.
- Recruit, hire and develop talented employees who are innovative storytellers that contribute to all of ESPN’s platforms.
- Coordinate staffing assignments, editorial resources and process.
- Collaborate with design, product and technology managers on presentation and site
- Maintain proficiency and knowledge in latest trends and best practices for news and storytelling
- Maintain proficiency and knowledge for SEO
- Ensure all content meets established tone, theme, accuracy, style and consistency requirements.
- Work with Sales to develop content with sponsorship potential.
- Identify opportunities for strategic growth in both revenue
Minimum of 8 years of experience in editorial and content creation, including at least two years in people management
- Understanding and appreciation of news, story and trending topics
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and news judgment
- Strong editing skills
- Basic knowledge of the NFL
- Appreciation of popular culture and an understanding of the tastes of ESPN’s audiences
- Knowledge of HTML and related web authoring tools and software, search engines and audience acquisition
- In-depth knowledge of the NFL, including major storylines and key contacts
Experience with driving audience expansion through off-platform channels for original content
Exposure to technical and product teams in a digital media organization
Familiarity with tools that measure online traffic, consumer habits and usage patterns.
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher in Journalism, Communications, English or a related field
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc, which is part of a business we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.