Director – Analytics and Insights Engineering (NY, CT or WA)
Bristol, CT - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 703421BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States; Burbank, California, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 17/09/2019
Responsibilities:The Director of Analytics and Insights Engineering is responsible for leading an engineering organization that builds and operates technology used for analytics, BI, dashboards, segmentation and other related data functions.
As a senior leader in the DTCI Data Platforms Organization, you will be responsible for developing and supporting solutions empowering the business to make better decisions. You’ll be responsible for providing insights across all areas of the DTCI business, developing capabilities for everyone from product managers to Sr. Executives.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in the building of in-house as well as usage of 3rd party technology for data analytics and insights solutions, service ownership, technical leadership, innovation, relationship management and be able to demonstrate the skills to effectively and positively influence others.
- Manage and mentor teams of BI developers, software engineers and data engineers
- Develop capabilities for the organization right sized for the initiative. That may mean development of Tableau reports in some cases; highly customized and visually exceptional web dashboards in other.
- Partner with Platform engineering to develop self-service analytics capabilities
- Ensure ongoing accuracy of the reports
- Support Ad & Content personalization and segmentation
- Collaborate closely with Product Management, Data Platform Engineering, Data Governance and other peer groups to develop and deliver on the organization’s roadmap.
- Influence technical direction through partnerships and relationships across The Walt Disney Company
- Foster collaborative relationships with technology leadership throughout DTCI, TWDC, and with key suppliers to influence decision-making and accomplish business objectives
- Lead hands-on evaluations of solutions
- Oversee resource management including assignments, potential resource constraints, identifying conflicts and limitations, and developing solutions to address, including managing a shared application delivery service team
- Instill and foster an environment of innovative solution development
- Provide strategic leadership, direction, and support to the team, including on-going performance management and learning and development options
- Align solutions and capabilities with business priorities, and effectively lead teams through implementation of solutions, maximizing overall capacity
- Provide guidance and recommendations to Executive Leadership and direct reports regarding trends, products, frameworks, applications, and provide concise summaries of findings and potential impacts on the business.
- Integrate business initiatives and technology to innovate and achieve a competitive advantage
- Oversee on-going project oversight and management support including troubleshooting, maintenance, modifications, and issue resolution
- Provide timely and accurate information on solution and request status
- Interface with varying levels of management; engage in significant contact with DTCI and other Disney segments to identify overlaps, minimize redundancy, and lead successful application of projects
- Forecast, develop, and maintain expectations with regards to budgeting process
- Work on special projects and presentations as required
- Minimum of 5 years in analytics
- Minimum of 5 years in front end software development
- Minimum of 7 years leading engineering and analytics teams
- Experience in Tableau and Looker (or others, such as Domo, PowerBI, etc.)
- Experience in SQL, Hive, Spark (at least two of these)
- Experience in digital and linear advertising
- Experience building data driven personalization experiences
- Passion for technology and willingness to engage at a deep technical level to solve problems
- Ability to define technical requirements and deliver quality products
- Experience with offshore staffing, contractors, and temporary staffing requirements
- Experience delivering software products in a governed environment (e.g., GDPR, CCPA and/or internal business access rules)
- Demonstrated ability to rapidly assimilate and summarize information from disparate sources
- Strong leadership experience in supporting organizational change within a large and diverse organization
- Experience with implementation of complex applications and integration projects within a large company
- Intellectually curious and open to challenging the status quo
- Ability to motivate matrixed teams to produce quality results within challenging time frames and ongoing change
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills with ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization (e.g. balancing understanding details with senior executive level communication)
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Proactive style with a demonstrated ability to take ownership of tasks and see them through to completion
- Embraces working and operating in a highly collaborative and communicative environment.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation
- Proven experience with forecasting, developing and maintaining expectations with regards to budgeting process
- Excellent orientation to both the details and the bigger picture
- Embraces teamwork; shares ideas/methods to improve performance, while demonstrating the ability to work autonomously as needed
- Proven success with regards to leading the processes required to perform hands-on technology and platforms evaluations.
- Excellent listener and negotiator, possessing good judgment and business acumen with the willingness and determination to operate effectively within a challenging, dynamic and rapidly changing and growing environment
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, or a similar field
- Advance degree a plus
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.