Director, Business DevelopmentApply NowApply Later Job ID 818576BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business ESPN and Sports Content Date posted Jul. 01, 2021
As a part of the ESPN Content Business Development & Innovation team, we help fuel the creation of technical innovative solutions thru internal processes and key strategic innovation partnerships. The team continually evaluates prospective partners in traditional and digital media that either extended our content, expand our core audience target, and fuel the growth of ESPN.
The Director, Content Business Development & Innovation is responsible for the development and execution of ESPN strategy for innovation initiatives including but not limited third party relationships, growing ESPN Content product offerings across (television, streaming, digital, audio, commerce, social, etc.) The individual will help evaluate prospective partners in all aspects of traditional and digital media.
A successful candidate for this full-time position will need the ability to organize, prioritize, and show case creativity in identifying and evaluating new project opportunities across a wide variety of departments at ESPN (e.g. corporate strategy, content & marketing, product, production, and programming).
- The development and execution of ESPN strategy for innovation initiatives including but not limited third party relationships, growing ESPN Content product offerings across (television, streaming, digital, audio, commerce, social, etc.)
- Based on the ESPN Business Development strategy, this role will evaluate new ESPN businesses as well as originate and negotiate Business affairs deals from start to finish resulting in lasting efficient partnerships
- Evaluates and negotiates complex business development matters in new and emerging businesses while also fully understanding, supporting and expanding our existing businesses
- Directs cross-functional teams and manages efforts to build new business strategies, rationalize processes, and identify, qualify and present strategic issues to top management
- Lead multifunctional teams (Finance, Strategy, Programming, Ad Sales, Affiliate Sales and Marketing, etc.) to develop new business and product initiatives, assess new markets and media landscape, analyze business opportunities, and develop and conduct competitive analysis
- Identifies new business opportunities, both internally and externally
- Acts as a staunch advocate for innovation and content business across TWDC
- Closely track market trends and share newsworthy headlines to the team
- Develop and maintain understanding of key BDI clients, marketplace and competition
- Identify best practices across TWDC and business partners to implement enhancements to our existing deal & Innovation process flow
- Works with Finance on business planning and market assessment for ESPN Content projects, including quantitative models to support business development and value creation efforts
- Collect and analyze feedback from clients and internal stakeholders to hit benchmarks or increase monetization
- Create and standardize deal tracking and performance reporting
- Consults regularly with ESPN colleagues regarding how ESPN Content’s business development activities can support their initiatives and businesses as well as ESPN’s strategic vision
- Is knowledgeable regarding ESPN’s Content offerings to give demonstrations of new products, technology, programming, etc., and explore beneficial business relationships in all these areas
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in a business environment
- Detail oriented and collaborative, with outstanding interpersonal skills both verbal and written
- Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- General understanding of the current trends in the business industry and competitive landscape
- Strong written and verbal skills with a proficiency in Microsoft Office, with specific strength in creating PowerPoint presentations
- Experience with media and technology-oriented business models and industry leaders
- An avid consumer of media across non-traditional platforms (Twitch, YouTube, Reddit, OTT, etc.)
- Proven financial/business analytical skills
- Familiar with the Disney and ESPN Media Networks portfolio
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- MBA preferred
About ESPN and Sports Content:
The ESPN and Sports Content group acquires and produces ESPN’s live sports programming, as well as sports news and original and non-scripted sports-related content, for The Walt Disney Company’s cable channels, ESPN+, and ABC.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN, Inc, which is part of a business segment we call ESPN and Sports Content.
ESPN, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.