Director, Program Operations - Next Generation StorytellingApply NowApply Later Job ID 10010381 Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States / Town of Bristol, Connecticut, United States / Burbank, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Aug. 09, 2022 Flex Type On-Site
- This role is considered on-site, which means the employee will work from a Company designated location on an ongoing basis.
Director, Program Operations - Next Generation Storytelling
Job ID: 10010381
Locations: Los Angeles, Bristol, NYC, Seattle, Orlando
For nearly 100 years, The Walt Disney Company has defined and re-defined entertainment by leveraging technology to bring stories to life in deeper, more impactful ways. Some of those innovations – like the first synchronization of sound and animation or the revolutionary work of ILM and Pixar – come to life on-screen. Others, like the pioneering of Audio-Animatronics, come to life in the physical world.
Today, Disney is at the forefront of new paradigm for how audiences engage with its content, characters, experiences, and stories. The Next Generation Storytelling (NGS) team is working across The Walt Disney Company to connect digital, physical, and virtual worlds in new ways, expanding and redefining the boundaries of storytelling, and creating richer, more holistic, and innovative relationships with consumers.
The Director of Program Operations for NGS will direct the project, program and portfolio management needs for the NGS team. Work with the partners across the Company, this leader will help explore next generation technology capabilities for the sake of storytelling and audience engagement, develop subject matter expertise in content prep, Web3 and development networks.
Project and Program Managers supporting NGS projects will report to this position. The successful candidate will ensure that each program and initiative within NGS is well planned, managed, and tracked. In addition, the candidate will ensure all program updates are shared promptly with stakeholders, anticipating potential risks and issues to mitigate and propose alternative paths forward proactively.
The successful candidate works with multiple business pillars, including Disney Parks, Experiences and Products, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED), and the content creators brands (Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and Pixar) to define and manage programs. This leader is also responsible for working with various business partners to prepare the annual capital budget and plan, comprehensively analyzing and reporting on all capital projects, reporting financial information to the leadership team regularly, and escalating any deviations.
Responsibilities and Duties of the Role:
- Provide program and project management services for DMED Technology Organization and ensure project management leaders are effectively leading projects to achieve the desired outcome
- Collaborate with Program Management Office and Performance Operations teams to influence the implementation of best practice methods, processes, and tools
- Oversee the creation of quality project information, including project budgets, actuals, forecasts, status reporting, and issue/risk reporting
- Recommend improvements and/or process changes and rolling out agreed changes and ensuring overall compliance
- Ensure the project management team uses best practices and lessons learnt from previous projects/programs
- Work with technical leads and other cross-functional teams to prioritize projects/programs and escalate risks and constraints to the technology leadership team promptly
- Oversee the health of the projects and programs; ensure transparency of project progress and issues/risks
- Provide guidance to project/program management leaders to improve project execution and remove barriers to successful implementation
- Develop effective working relationships with vendors, partners, and clients to create an effective and efficient delivery process to achieve project results
- Work with the NGS leadership team to accurately forecast resource needs and adequately accounting for expenses to meet requirements and fulfill fiscal responsibility
- Manage a performance enhancement culture by actively coaching and mentoring direct reports, providing regular feedback, and developing employees for broader roles and responsibilities to foster professional growth and personal development
Required Education, Experience/Skills/Training:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience required
- 10+ years of experience managing formal projects and/or functional organizations
- 5+ years Program & Project management experience with very strong facilitation, communication planning and problem-solving skills
- 8+ years total of formal management experience at the Manager level or above
- Experience managing, tracking and troubleshooting multiple initiatives in a deadline-driven environment with cross-functional teams, vendors and partners
- SAFe Certification or a demonstrated understanding of operating large scale agile programs
- CSM / CSP Certification preferred with thorough understanding of Scrum Agile Methodologies
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.