Director – Software Engineering
Bristol, CT - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 701964BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 24/09/2019
Job Summary:Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International segment (DTCI) is a global, multiplatform media, technology and distribution organization for high-quality content created by Disney’s Studio Entertainment and Media Networks groups.
DTCI includes Disney’s international media operations and the Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service, the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu, and the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN. BAMTECH Media, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company as part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment.
Would you like to work with pioneers of the tech industry and create new ways for people to watch their favorite Disney movies, shows, news, and sports? Our collaborative spirit thrives on a common goal: to deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
As a Director of Software Engineering, you’d have the chance to touch the lives of Disney and sports fans, across the world by innovating products that will include digital experiences of ESPN, ABC News and Entertainment, Disney Channels Worldwide, Fantasy Football, Fox, National Geographic and more. You’d join our Productivity Engineering team, whose primary goal is speed to market of DTCI’s tech while maintaining Disney Quality. This role makes you a stakeholder for every digital property developed and released by DTCI reaching to about 230 million users worldwide, who spend more than 14 billion minutes of time per month visiting them.
You’d spend your days in an invigorating environment, and might even bump into your favorite Disney character or sports stars!
Responsibilities:You’d join a fast-paced environment, collaborating with DTCI’s visionary engineers on key projects. As the Director, Software Engineering, you will be responsible for defining and implementing end to end software product delivery process and technology platforms that will enable us to scale. You will be managing a multimillion dollar budget and a global team of 100+ cross functional resources. You will be responsible for -
- Defining and driving a creative and high quality productivity and systems roadmap
- Hiring, mentoring and growing your team of Software Engineers and Quality Engineers
- Overall strategy to maximize engineering throughput, and ensure an efficient delivery of only the highest quality products ship to our fans
- Technology decisions and standardization of productivity platforms and operational tools for DTCI-technology within Productivity Teams.
- You will develop partnerships with key stakeholders (product, development, creative and program management) across DTCI-technology
- You will deliver innovative solutions to improve the speed of delivery and the fan’s quality of experience
- You will integrate data analytics, product metrics, user experience research, and competitive analysis into KPI development and tracking
- You will develop and evaluate trends in KPI's post launch and leverage these insights to inform product decisions for future phases.
- You and your team need to be entrepreneurial, technology and business savvy, wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment that’s more startup than big company.
- 15 years of combined project management, product development, and/or SDET management experience around high-scale consumer products in a rapid-release cycle environment
- Broad technical breadth and depth including familiarity with mobile, web and OTT applications
- Experience delivering consumer software products and services in a high growth, high pressure, deadline driven environment
- Exceptional communication and reporting skills
- Proven track record of taking ownership and successfully delivering results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Experience coordinating complex product development cycles and software development schedules
- TechOps experience preferred
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive actions
- Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss technical concepts and manage tradeoffs
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated experience engaging and influencing senior executive leadership
- Proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously
- Ability to think strategically and execute methodically
- Willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done.
- Bachelor's degree or higher with a technical discipline
- Master’s in Business Administration
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.