Fiber Systems Tech I
Bristol, CT - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 764948BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Aug. 27, 2020
Job Summary:The Walt Disney Company's Direct-To-Consumer & International (DTCI) is a global business segment with the mission of providing consumers around the world access to the content they want most, on the latest platforms, at a time of rapidly-evolving consumer habits. By combining the Company's direct-to-consumer streaming services, ESPN+, Disney+, Hulu, and Disney's international media businesses with cutting-edge technology, Disney marries world-class content and beloved brands into a world-class consumer experience.
The Fiber Transport group is an essential part of Disney’s DTCI Technology segment. Our team is responsible for the development and maintenance of DTCI’s private fiber network which transports contribution and distribution services between Disney facilities globally. It is our responsibility to maintain the quality and reliability of all content traversing the network by monitoring distribution compression systems and determining corrective action for technical issues. We work in a dynamic, ever-evolving environment and we’re looking for technical, creative people who are enthusiastic and eager to grow with us.
As a member of the Global Network Services organization, the Fiber Systems Technician I will run the day to day operation of DTCI’s private global network in a dynamic, fast-paced, technologically advanced broadcast and content distribution environment.
The organization is tasked with improving workflow efficiency through the use of innovative technological solutions. Our partners demand the highest quality and reliability for their services. Our industry is evolving at a tremendous rate and it is our responsibility to maintain quality and reliability while developing innovative ways to automate the scaling of our network. As a result, we are transitioning to a service-provider model to include 10G, 40G and 100G Ethernet capabilities. Automation is an important component of driving efficiency and the team is responsible for conceiving, developing and deploying tools to support our network infrastructure.
As a Fiber Systems Technician I you will be a key representative of Media Engineering and of DTCI through routine communication and coordination with other departments, fiber providers, technology vendors and affiliates. This position is responsible for acquiring and transporting distribution and contribution-based content globally as well as small projects as assigned by Management. A technician is responsible for the transport quality control, security, and continuity of TWDC’s Networks and business initiatives with an emphasis on the following technologies: Fiber optics, compression, video, audio, and IP. Performance must be accurate, timely, and with a professional demeanor befitting this role. Work must be carried out with a minimum of supervision.
- Provides support for DTCI’s Global Fiber Optic Partners for both optical and compression technologies
- Monitors distribution compression systems to ensure content distribution, coordination and quality of optical transport technology meets DTCI’s standards.
- Operates test equipment to monitor Transport applications and identify problems.
- Diagnoses and determines corrective action for first tier technical problems, and refers more complex problems to appropriate departments and more senior engineers and managers for resolution.
- Regularly represents DTCI to partners and Affiliates throughout the world as a first level technician.
- Regularly interact and maintain positive relationships with departments throughout The Walt Disney Company.
- Regularly interacts with remote and DTCI freelance representatives to turn-up new fiber optic links for major events
- Works daily with 3rd party fiber providers on RFOs and maintenance notifications
- Support 3rd party fiber provider’s connectivity globally
- Conducts routine routing, switch and control activities necessary to ensure broadcasts operate according to specification.
- Provision Ethernet and Video services globally over DTCI’s private fiber network
- Coordinate, execute, and communicate replacement of failed equipment globally
- Availability to work in a 24 x 7 environment including weekends and holidays.
- Excellent communication, organization, problem solving and computer skills
- Fundamental knowledge of various fiber optic standards and transport delivery methods, including SONET, SDH, DWDM, CWDM, LAN Phy and WAN Phy technologies
- Fundamental knowledge of MPEG 2 Transport stream technologies and standards.
- Fundamental knowledge of MPEG and JPEG compression hardware, software, and standards
- Minimum 0-2 years of Broadcast or Fiber Optic Industry Operational experience
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a deadline-oriented live television environment.
- Fundamental knowledge of IP protocols such as BGP, IGMPv2 & 3, TCP/IP, SNMP, SSL, HTTPS, and DNS
- Has fundamental knowledge of LAN and WAN IP related equipment
- Understanding of Distribution DPI Technologies (SCTE 104 / SCTE 35).
- Ability to work within a high-pressure deadline-oriented team environment
- Fundamental knowledge of Internet and CDN contribution and distribution technologies
- High School Diploma or equivalent technical school graduate
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science or a minimum of 2 years’ experience in broadcast or fiber optic industry technologies
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN, Inc, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.