Fiber Systems Tech II
Bristol, CT - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 715896BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Nov. 04, 2019
Job Summary:As a member of the Global Network Services organization, the Fiber Systems Technician II will run the day to day operation of DCTI’s private global network in a dynamic, fast-paced, technologically advanced broadcast and content distribution environment.
The organization is tasked with improving workflow efficiency through the use of innovative technological solutions. Our partners demand the highest quality and reliability for their services. Our industry is evolving at a tremendous rate and it is our responsibility to maintain quality and reliability while developing innovative ways to automate the scaling of our network. As a result, we are transitioning to a service-provider model to include 10G, 40G and 100G Ethernet capabilities. Automation is an important component of driving efficiency and the team is responsible for conceiving, developing and deploying tools to support our network infrastructure.
As a Fiber Systems Technician II you will be a key representative of Media Engineering and of DTCI through routine communication and coordination with other departments, fiber providers, technology vendors and affiliates. This position is responsible for acquiring and transporting distribution and contribution-based content globally as well as small projects as assigned by Management. A technician is responsible for the transport quality control, security, and continuity of TWDC’s Networks and business initiatives with an emphasis on the following technologies: Fiber optics, compression, video, audio, and IP. Performance must be accurate, timely, and with a professional demeanor befitting this role. Work must be carried out with a minimum of supervision.
- Provides support for DTCI’s Global Fiber Optic Partners for both optical and compression technologies
- Diagnoses and determines corrective action for first and second tier technical problems, and refers more complex problems to appropriate departments and more senior engineers and managers for resolution.
- Monitors distribution compression systems to ensure content distribution, coordination and quality of optical transport technology meets DTCI’s standards.
- Conducts routine routing, switch and control activities necessary to ensure broadcasts operate according to specification.
- Operates and provides training of test equipment to monitor Transport applications and identify problems.
- Works daily with 3rd party fiber providers on RFOs and maintenance notifications
- Provision Ethernet and Video services globally over ESPN’s private fiber network ESPNet
- Regularly interact and maintain positive relationships with departments throughout ESPN.
- Regularly represents TWDC to partners and Affiliates throughout the world as a second level technician.
- Regularly interacts with remote and ESPN freelance representatives to turn-up new fiber optic links for major events
- Support 3rd party fiber provider’s connectivity into DTCI
- Coordinate, execute, and communicate replacement of failed equipment globally
- Responsible for communication, resolution and follow-up of daily operational issues with internal and external partners.
- Provides training for internal and external technicians on daily workflows as assigned.
- Execute smaller projects/tasks as assigned.
- Work closely with Senior Technicians on new workflow proposals and operational integration of new projects.
- Availability to work in a 24 x 7 environment including weekends and holidays.
- 1-3+ years’ experience in Satellite and Terrestrial-based television transport systems, engineering, operations and maintenance
- Has fundamental knowledge of MPEG and JPEG compression technologies used in the broadcast transmission industry
- Has fundamental knowledge Fiber Optic transport technologies associated with SONET, MPLS, ATM, CDWM, DWDM, and DTM
- Training level position with some knowledge of television broadcast operations
- Has fundamental knowledge of IT standards, technologies, and practices
- Has fundamental knowledge of broadcast television plant infrastructures and fiber network operation, support, and maintenance
- Is a modestly experienced level technical individual contributor with demonstrated high-potential for the development of skills
- Is a modestly experienced technical individual contributor with fundamental skills in a 24 X 7 Transmission operation
- Advanced knowledge of LAN and WAN IP related equipment
- Understanding of Distribution Technologies (SCTE 104 / SCTE 35).
- Ability to work within a high-pressure deadline-oriented team environment
- High School Diploma or equivalent technical school graduate
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science or a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in broadcast or fiber optic industry technologies
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN, Inc, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.