Java Software Engineer
Bristol, CT - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 724052BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 14/11/2019
Job Summary:The Content Distribution team is part of the Disney Product Engineering organization, under the Direct-to-Consumer & International segment. We are seeking a highly collaborative and creative Java Software Engineer to join a team of engineers handling complex systems that power a dazzling array of Disney’s best-in-class News and Sports products.
If hired, you will play a meaningful role in the evolving experiences across consumer facing digital products, with responsibilities for the technical design and implementation of medium size projects and features.
We are looking for you if you are:
- highly adaptable and committed to learning
- have a deep understanding of web architectures and software design patterns
- have a track record of delivering web services utilizing common Java technologies (containers, servlets, spring, etc.)
- thrive in an agile and collaborative environment.
- Participate in the design and implementation of core Content Distribution systems
- Collaborate with internal & external teams to define requirements and delivery schedules for projects
- Design and deliver high quality code for small to medium size projects and make critical contributions working with others on larger projects
- Work with the team to iteratively improve development practices and processes
- Tackle challenging engineering problems involving high throughput web applications
- Build strong relationships with the team while collectively finding opportunities for improvements around quality and automation
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience
- Robust programming skills and strong knowledge of the Java platform and Java web applications (Spring/Tomcat)
- Deep understanding of RESTful APIs
- Exposure to full lifecycle of application development, including practices like unit testing, code reviews, documentation, etc.
- Interest in industry trends on new technologies, best practices and solutions. A passion for innovation and raising the bar in all development aspects.
- Proven ability to work on a diverse scope of software projects requiring strong attention to detail and creative problem solving.
- Passion for software quality and for advancing testing as an engineering discipline
- Hands-on experience with developing/running/sustaining applications in Cloud environments, with preference towards AWS
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, CS, Engineering, Math
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.