Java Software Engineer III(Personalization)
Bristol, CT - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 595089BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States; Glendale, California, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 09/10/2018
Job Summary:This is an exciting role for a technology enthusiast interested in creating the engines that drive experiences across DTCI’s consumer-facing products. The Software Engineer III will play an important role in the personalization experiences across digital products with responsibilities for the technical design and implementation of new projects and features. In this role, you will be building on high throughput client facing systems delivering personalized experiences to millions of people on a daily basis.
This position is 100% hands-on development with some opportunity to influence design and specifications. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of web architectures and OO software design patterns along with demonstrated experience delivering web services utilizing common Java technologies (containers, servlets, spring, etc.).
- Collaborate with product managers and fellow engineers in the design and implementation of systems delivering high throughput personalized experiences
- Efficiently operate cloud-based personalization services, with an emphasis in reliability, security, and performance
- Analyze and resolve complex engineering problems involving high trafficked web and mobile application services and APIs
- Interface with a variety of stakeholders to define requirements project timelines
- Provide guidance and enforcement of development practices and processes
- 5+ Years of relevant work experience
- Excellent programming skills and strong knowledge of the Java platform and Java web applications (Spring/Tomcat/etc)
- Strong understanding of web architecture including HTTP, caching and API delivery paradigms
- Exposure to full software development lifecycle and common best practices like unit testing, collaborative version control flows, and continuous integration
- Demonstrated ability to work on a diverse scope of software and database projects requiring detailed analysis and creative/practical problem solving
- Strong analytical skills and capabilities for resolving a wide range of issues in innovative ways
- Self-starter with an interest in industry trends and a passion for innovation and raising the bar
- Proven experience developing and maintaining high-volume and highly-available distributed
- Hands-on experience with developing and operating applications in Cloud-based environments like AWS
- Experience with real-time messaging frameworks, such as Kafka or AWS Messaging services
- Strong understanding of relational and NoSQL persistence stores and the ability to determine which is the right tool for the right
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, and/or equivalent work experience
- Masters Degree in Computer Science or related field.
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.