Lead Application Developer I
Bristol, CT - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 700056BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 30/08/2019
This role is a part of the AdVisor Architecture team within the DTCI Business Platforms organization. We strive to be a diverse team, passionate about great technology applied creatively to solve complex business problems. We are a motivated team that is committed to lifelong learning and improving, both in and out of the office. We strive to be flexible and adaptable to change both in how we execute projects and in the technologies we use to deliver our solutions. We care about the details because every pixel, every line of code, and every user interaction with our products determines whether we are delivering on our commitment to producing the very best products possible. You’ll be joining a talented team that works interdependently toward aggressive goals to deliver technically sound solutions. We work to ensure that we share both accountability and credit as a team. We often include our users as part of our team and we work to connect with them on a human level, understanding their world, so we can deliver software that they love to use.
Our ideal Lead Application Developer I candidate is team-oriented, possesses excellent communication skills, and has previously led both on-site and offshore developers while utilizing a scrum methodology. Additionally, you possess testing experience on web platforms within a CI/CD model, and will champion “shift left” automation testing concepts.
We are looking for someone who has grown up through the web software development ranks - possessing at least 8 years’ experience in designing and architecting highly scalable and performant web applications.
We’re looking for a passionate, impactful, technical leader who wants to come here to do their very best work and make their mark, add their chapter to the long and storied history of The Walt Disney Company. Someone who holds themselves and their teammates accountable in a professional, collaborative manner. A collaborative technologist who seeks to bring the best out in themselves and those around them. Someone who can provide a fresh perspective and innovative insight to our initiatives.
- Provide development and scrum master leadership to an offshore development team
- Provide hands on Architectural leadership across various scrum teams
- Collaborate with other leads to design and architect on-prem and cloud native and service-oriented UI components and applications
- Collaborate with team and peers to design complex applications, peer review code, and suggest optimization
- Enable continuous deployment by championing quality engineering practices: linting, unit testing, web UI testing, pipeline automation
- Reason logically and creatively, identifying problems, drawing valid conclusions from the data available, and develop effective solutions while applying creative thinking in the design and development of high performing web applications
- Collaborate with and influence product teams to build and maintain design system standards, processes, and adoption
- Create reference implementations for the purpose of mentoring and leading more junior staff
- Help define engineering best practices and provide technical mentorship
- Investigate and resolve any production issues from end user (UI) to persistence layer and work to prevent them
- Work with project managers to ensure that all project deliverables are on time and high quality
- Assist in rapid prototyping of design concepts in order to prove and test ideas with end-users
- Have 7+ years of experience in web application development or software engineering in a large enterprise environment using modern frameworks
- Have RESTful service design expertise, independent of implementation technology
- Have C# or Java backend RESTful service design with database persistence experience
- Have experience with reactive programming using a best of breed UI stack: React, Redux, Jest, Enzyme, Selenium, SauceLabs, Webpack, and Babel
- Have experience with Liquibase database change tracking
- Have experience with data modeling utilizing Embarcedero
- Have a track record of championing quality engineering: be adamant that all code is written in a way that can be tested with automation
- Have hands on DevOps experience with Azure/AWS, GitLab CI/D pipelines, Docker, Kubernettes/Helm
- Have experience working with high-performing teams using Agile and Lean methodologies and frameworks
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Care about your craft and have opinions about the “right” way to do things with technology
- Previous work experience in media production, broadcast and/or distribution
- Experience working with vendor teams to deliver high quality results
- Strong curiosity about how Disney delivers the Magic and a desire to be a part of it
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Engineering, or another technical field
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related technical discipline is highly desirable
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.