Lead Media EngineerApply Now Apply Later Job ID 634221BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Mar. 20, 2019
Job Summary:Working within DTCI Technology is unlike anything else. That’s because we are always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
Disney, ABC and ESPN all operate at high volume and fast pace. All productions support under DTCI are graphics intensive and require 100% uptime of the graphics systems. These graphics systems are not only used to support production in control rooms and on screen but also within all studio monitors.
The successful candidate must have superior troubleshooting skills as well as knowledge and experience specific to the operation and support of graphics systems, their configurations, and uses.
- Work as a member of the DTCI Technology team and the division’s Media Engineering & Operations team to support advanced graphics and edit systems at our headquarters in Bristol Connecticut.
- Respond to and resolve Broadcast facility issues and perform oversight and maintenance on all air critical graphics systems.
- Experience/Knowledge with/of Camino based systems (Clock & Score, Bottomlines/tickers, Compression.)
- Experience/Knowledge with/of Studio Virtual/Touchscreen/Telestration systems/software/functionality.
- Experience with MOS protocol and it’s communication with ENPS News Production Systems and Video/Edit/Graphics based systems.
- Candidate should have strong knowledge and familiarity with managing Qube Render Farm technology.
- Experience supporting Maya, Arnold, 3d Studio Max, Sketchbook software and licenses.
- Candidate should have a strong knowledge and familiarity with troubleshooting/configuration of Nvidia/Matrox SDI video hardware.
- Create and maintain documents related to VIZ graphics systems, the CAGE systems, storage arrays and Adobe Graphics Suites.
- Monitors the performance of systems; maintains system configuration history of changes, troubleshoots and participates in repairing systems problems and failures, participates in leading or leads the maintenance of systems, installs software patches, updates etc., to resolve and avoid service problems, and troubleshoots system problems as they relate to these services.
- Responds to system outages, malfunctions, and related technical problems, and conducts diagnostic testing, repair and replacement activities necessary to solve routine, specialized, and complex problems.
- Develops and implements effective preventative maintenance and diagnostic/solutions, techniques and procedures and maintain the related documentation.
- Coordinates and / or performs upgrades to system hardware and software; coordinates the activities of technicians involved in the deployment and configuration of the systems, and with vendors on moves, additions and re-locations of all graphics equipment.
- Develops and implements effective preventative maintenance and diagnostic/solutions, techniques and procedures for systems such as VIZ and Terrablock.
- Participates in planning or plans for the facility infrastructure; participates in evaluating or evaluates new technologies, in researching network and system configurations for future implementation of DTCI Technology systems.
- Maintain up to date operational procedures to support daily productions and emergency recovery scenarios.
- Monitors project progress and periodically updates project schedules, noting achievement of milestones and issues requiring resolution.
- 6+ years of experience VIZ graphics systems, VCS, and ENPS
- Demonstrated experience with Altiris and other automated service-oriented software management systems.
- Demonstrated networking experience.
- Has in-depth experience providing Highly Availability Windows/Unix/Linux environments.
- In-Depth experience with FTP, SSH, HTTP/S, SNMP, and DNS.
- Knowledge of basic Networking concepts such as: Routers, Switches, Subnetting, Ethernet cable installation and termination and proper cabling to support service inputs/outputs and plant integration
- Physical requirements and work environment: Ability to climb ladders, work on raised structures
- 6+ years of experience in IT, Broadcast Engineering or related field.
- Has extensive knowledge of television production hardware, software, systems and specifications, TCP\\IP protocols on servers and workstations, systems management and server administration.
- Advance demonstrated IT skills including TCP/IP networking concepts and equipment, storage systems, redundant computer system concepts, administration, etc.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience with VIZ systems, VIZ Hubs and VIZ licensing procedures.
- Bachelor of Science degree in a Technology related field or a minimum of 8 years of experience in a media/broadcast environment as described above.
- SBE or equivalent certifications.
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.