Lead Software EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 10028220 Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States / Town of Bristol, Connecticut, United States / New York, New York, United States / United States / Los Angeles, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Nov. 10, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
• Analyzes, designs, programs, debugs, and modifies software enhancements and/or new products used in local, networked, cloud-based or Internet-related computer programs. Code may either be used in commercial and end-user applications, or may focus on software and tools in support of infrastructure and technology platforms. Deliverables are typically large or highly complex software programs and systems. Has in depth knowledge of current programming language and technologies, writes code, completes programming, and may perform testing and debugging of applications. May interact with users to define system requirements and/or necessary modifications. Conceives, designs, develops, tests, and implements software components, fixes, enhancements, and/or new systems and applications. Codes at the component level. Designs and develops highly scalable software systems and applications. • An employee at this level is an experienced professional specializing in a given functional field by developing a depth/breadth of expertise.
Ever wonder how the innovative storytelling from the world’s most beloved brands – Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, ESPN, 20th Century, National Geographic, FX, Freeform, Disney Channels, ABC, and more -- makes it to viewers around the globe and beyond (yes, we also deliver content to the International Space Station)? Come join our growing team that builds global products, platforms and tools that deliver and monetize our company's unmatched collection of content, power our businesses and reflect the company's innovative spirit.
We are the Content Platforms team with a mission to “reimagine the technical ecosystem that empowers The Walt Disney Company to harness its unparalleled storytelling and distribute it around the world.” Content Platforms is part of the Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution (DMED) segment which is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in conjunction with ESPN; Disney+, the Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; global advertising sales and ad technology for all of Disney’s media properties, including ABC, ESPN, Freeform, FX Networks, National Geographic and the Disney Channels; Hotstar, the leading over-the-top streaming service in India; and the Company’s majority ownership stake in Hulu.
- Enjoy working with teams of talented and passionate people
- Have excellent communication skills
- Demonstrate determination in finding solutions to complex puzzles
- Have the curiosity and interests in how content goes from inception to consumers
- Employ positive thinking and are able to work constructively in a diverse team setting
- Enjoy transforming business strategy into innovative products & platforms
- Value learning and being exposed to new experiences
- Love working in a startup culture
- Find Media & Entertainment industry fascinating
then Content Platforms team is the place for you. We are growing and investing in innovative technology to deliver a state-of-the-art content pipeline. Come be a part of the magic that makes The Walt Disney Company one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies”.
This role requires a highly dynamic individual to assist with the development of the solution architecture to achieve Content Platform Engineering's strategy. The right candidate will work with partners from various disciplines (product, security, infrastructure, data/information) to define the most effective solution to business problems, while also leveraging their knowledge of existing systems and services and the capabilities available to enable an efficient and transformational Digital Media Supply Chain.
In this role you will help define what our future state architecture will be, while also contributing to designing the path from current state to future state. You should be comfortable operating in complex environments and have experience with highly integrated and mission critical solutions. The role will require the ability to share and communicate ideas clearly, both orally and in writing, to business sponsors and partners, technical resources, and executives, in clear concise language that is the most effective for each respective group.
Responsibilities and Duties of the Role:
- Contributing to Solutions Architecture with Product and Engineering partners
- Contribute Reference Architecture for best practices across all domains, by delivering high and low-level technical design documents and specifications, position papers on technology evaluations, and other artifacts that will assist in architecting our Digital Media Supply Chain.
- Develops and communicates system/subsystem architecture
- Provide technical guidance and evangelize best practices while promoting the best use of company and industry standards
- Maintain a deep understanding of our core systems and how they interact with upstream and downstream dependencies
- Partner with stakeholders to refine requirements, and propose solutions to problems that span multiple teams
- Research, learn, and evangelize widespread adoption of new technologies and architecture patterns
- Has participated in incident and problem solving sessions that require a unique set of skills
- Assist in selecting the right software/tool for the task, as well as the implementation to ensure innovative, reliable, and flexible technology solutions that meet or exceed the CPE standards and SLAs.
- Organizing internal and external resources to solve the technical challenges of our Digital Media Supply Chain
- Any other duties needed to help achieve Business Objectives
Required Education, Experience/Skills/Training:
- Proven expertise with n-tier architecture and delivery of high volume, cached, fault tolerant, multi-threaded scalable systems
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies. Can effectively articulate complex ideas and influence others through well-reasoned explanations
- Enjoy working in a team setting with engineers of varying experience
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail
- Understanding of the Media Supply Chain
- Deep understanding of async programming models (events, callbacks, etc)
- Expertise designing APIs with GraphQL and RESTful services
- Experience working with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience working with data persistence layers
- Highly knowledgeable in cloud-based technologies such as AWS EC2, SQS, S3, Lambdas, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, Cloudformation/Terraform, etc.
- Expertise with full lifecycle of application development, including best practices of unit testing, code reviews, documentation, etc.
- Experience with build and deployment technologies such as Jenkins and Docker
- 7+ years of relevant industry experience
- BS Computer Science or related technical discipline or equivalent experience
The hiring range for this remote position is $181,070 to $ 209,660 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
Bolded line is most associated with the decision-making demands needed to successfully accomplish the essential duties of the position.
Work is closely supervised. Follows specific, detailed instructions and guidelines. Solves problems of limited scope and complexity.
Work is moderately supervised. Work is reviewed for soundness of judgment and overall adequacy and accuracy. Develops solutions to a variety of problems of moderate scope and complexity. Supervisory approval is obtained on situations where practices and procedures do not exist or where deviations to existing procedures occur.
Work is performed with minimal direction. Participates in determining objectives of assignments. Plans, schedules and arranges own activities in accomplishing objectives. Work is reviewed upon completion. Problems worked on are of a complex nature.
Work is not supervised and allows considerable latitude. Develops solutions to unusually complex problems, which require the regular use of ingenuity and innovation.
Work is geared to directing and guiding others. Assignments are relatively complex and allow independent judgment and decision-making. Provides considerable input in establishing the objectives for their area of responsibility. Work is reviewed in terms of meeting the organizational objectives and schedules.
Work is focused on determining organizational objectives and practices. Completed work is reviewed from a relatively long-range perspective for desired results. Makes final decisions and provides direction for one or more major segments of the total organization.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.