Manager of Business Operations, Stats & Info GroupApply NowApply Later Job ID 794843BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business ESPN and Sports Content Date posted Jun. 07, 2021
The manager will be a leading voice in the department’s group-level communication, both internally and externally. This includes announcements, presentations, and working with sports conference organizers. Demonstrated excellence in communications or public relations is highly desirable.
The manager will play an important role in SIG’s commitment to growing and developing people. This person will help conceive, create and execute staff events, regular learning sessions, mentorship programs and the monthly sessions of the group’s leadership enhancement program. The manager will contribute to SIG’s efforts to recruit, reward and retain. This may include travel to represent ESPN and SIG at colleges and conferences. The manager will work closely with ESPN Human Resources on development opportunities, training, recruiting and Disney initiatives. Through these various staff development endeavors, the manager will help build successful professionals for one of the world’s largest sports media companies.
The manager will assist SIG’s senior leadership team by partnering with ESPN’s Legal and Business Development/Innovation teams to manage existing data contracts and explore new opportunities, as well as with ESPN’s Finance team to ensure SIG’s budget is used efficiently and effectively. This person will be part of the team that works closely with partners in Disney’s Advertising Sales and ESPN’s Marketing to turn content executions into potential sponsorship opportunities.
Ideal candidates will possess the following traits:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Commitment to identifying, developing and retaining diverse talent
- Demonstrated excellence in working collaboratively with different departments
- Organizational and business skills necessary to assist with SIG’s budget and data contracts
- Passion for sports storytelling with statistics and information
- Work with the Director of Sports Analytics,Business Operations and Content Integration to oversee the Stats & Information Group’s business and staff development operations
- Frequently collaborate with leaders across several ESPN and Disney departments (HR, Marketing Solutions, Finance, Legal, Communications, Business Affairs, Business Development, etc.)
- Oversee the department’s internal and external communication efforts
- Collaborate on cross-functional projects and initiatives with studio, technology and business partners
- Hold regular performance “catchups” with direct reports and deliver quarterly reviews
- Seek and respond to feedback around personal performance
- Develop and cultivate relationships with data providers from professional sports leagues, college media relations offices and third-party entities
- Actively participate in team and department meetings
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of statistics’ role in ESPN production
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience working in the sports industry or with a professional sports team or league
- Experience with writing releases, creating newsletters and public speaking
- Demonstrated business acumen including experience working directly with budgets
- Experience with Microsoft tools such as Excel and Office365
- Thorough knowledge of a wide variety of sports
- Full availability for this position, which could include nights, weekends and holidays
- A minimum of 1 year experience managing people, including oversight of direct reports
- Experience digital, television, or print sports news production
- Experience working for a professional team or league in a communications or media relations role
- Spanish-language writing and speaking skills
- High School diploma or equivalent
- College degree or equivalent
About ESPN and Sports Content:
The ESPN and Sports Content group acquires and produces ESPN’s live sports programming, as well as sports news and original and non-scripted sports-related content, for The Walt Disney Company’s cable channels, ESPN+, and ABC.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN and Sports Content.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.