Manager, Technology CommunicationsApply NowApply Later Job ID 784640BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Apr. 28, 2021
Playing an important role in the growth and future of DMED and The Walt Disney Company, the Technology team helps drive the strategic development and deployment of technology at the Walt Disney Company. It creates products, platforms and innovations for Disney’s portfolio of brands and businesses, while building scalable systems that connect hundreds of millions of consumers to Disney’s beloved stories, characters and brands.
It oversees the development, engineering and continued evolution of an industry-leading suite of consumer digital products; best-in-class advertising technology and products; world-class hardware and software engineering architecture; next-generation digital and linear distribution. A truly global organization, its talented engineers, designers, developers, managers, scientists and problem solvers are located in more than 25 countries around the world, helping to empower Disney’s businesses and creators, and deliver Disney into the homes, hands and lives of consumers.
Technology is at the heart of the future of the Walt Disney Company, and is more important to the company’s future than ever before. It is also driving significant change and opportunity and creating new kinds of relationships between consumers and Disney’s content and products.
The Communications team in The Walt Disney Company’s Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution segment is seeking an experienced, energetic and creative Manager of Communications to support the DMED Technology team, as well as contributing to PR and Communications support of ESPN+. This candidate will work with and support the Senior Manager to help devise and execute communications strategies, materials and content in support of the Technology group – including both internal and external messaging and strategic storytelling for a global team. This includes support for a suite of digital products (websites, apps, streaming products – including ESPN, ABC, Disney, ABC News and more), core media technology, advertising technology, data platforms, technology partnerships and more.
The day-to-day focus of the job is to work with DMED Technology’s Senior Manager, to create, manage and execute external and internal communications strategies, develop communications content and materials, as well as publicize digital products, technologies and their strategic utilization, division priorities and more. In addition to those core responsibilities, this role will work collaboratively as one member of a team that supports the ESPN+ DTC sports streaming service – working with communications colleagues across multiple business segments.
The ideal candidate will have detailed knowledge of the technology sector, digital products and development, and the intersection of media and technology. They have significant experience in both external and internal communications, are highly collaborative (experience in a matrixed organization highly preferred), excellent verbal and written communications skills, a high corporate IQ and EQ, and is comfortable working with both mid-level and top-level leadership executives. The person must have at least 5-8 years of public relations/communications experience, embrace a fast-paced environment that is undergoing significant change, and have existing relationships with technology, business, consumer, sports and trade press and outstanding communications skills.
Self-motivation, proactivity, strong organizational skills, positive team-oriented attitude, a comfort working through change and a love of technology and media are important attributes.
- Coordinate with the Senior Manager to develop, create and manage internal content and events, including Town Halls and digital events, in coordination with DMED Internal Communications and Office of the CTO.
- Partner with Senior Manager to support key verticals within the DMED Technology organization, e.g. Advertising Technology, Product & Design, Engineering, and Operations to develop strategic communications plans.
- Provide strategic counsel to internal clients on how to communicate information to employees successfully; support the design and execution of change management plans with internal partners like Human Resources, Facilities, Finance, Information Technology, etc.
- Write, edit and upload articles for intranet sites and the DMED Media Center.
- In partnership with Senior Manager, develop comprehensive plan for positioning key aspects of DMED Technology as a groundbreaking technology unit - both with press and the industry, and internally across Disney.
- Build, maintain and manage positive relationships with key media in various beats, including television, business, sports, trades, and digital/technology. Manage media relations (exclusives, pre-briefings), press materials (press kits, press releases, fact sheets, bios, statements, talking points, corporate blog and social posts), and press events.
- Actively monitor competitive and media landscapes to identify press and thought leadership opportunities to secure stories with media, appearances in key strategic industry events, address inaccuracies.
- Interact with executives to identify key goals and priorities, prepare various materials for press interviews and speaking engagements, and advise and guide them in their interactions.
- Maintain and develop tools for the DMED Communications team to help it establish and advance best practices in corporate communications sector (e.g. press lists, reporting, templates and tools, social media strategies, media website, etc.).
- Ideally 5 years of experience in communications and public relations, including significant experience in both external communications/media relations and internal/employee and leadership communication
- Direct experience working in Technology sector – either in an agency or a large, matrixed organization
- Understanding of both traditional and digital media sectors and the technologies and business models underpinning them
- Existing relationships with tech, business and trade press (sports press an added bonus)
- Comprehensive knowledge of internal communications procedures, concepts and best practices
- Ability to write and present strong, clear and compelling copy while maintaining consistency of voice, style, mechanics and spelling
- Proficient in industry-standard collaboration and project management tools
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills in all aspects of job performance with strong attention to detail
- Proactive self-starter with strong business ethics and interpersonal skills who works well within a team
- Strong creative thinking and the ability to take initiative with projects and anticipate issues of concern
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, create documents quickly and communicate effectively under pressure of time constraints
- Flexibility, resourcefulness and an ability to handle multiple demands and thrive in a fast-paced, changing and growing multiplatform 24/7 global work environment.
- Willingness and availability to work evenings and weekends as well as travel for work/production/events as needed
- Experience developing communications plans for diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives is a plus
- A passion for The Walt Disney Company and general understanding of our background, values and work, as well as a vested interest in Technology innovations
- Bachelor's degree or international equivalent in Journalism, English, Communications or related field. (will consider candidates with Technology-focused or Marketing degrees that are interested in moving to Communications if they can demonstrate the needed skills, mindset and drive)
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.