Media Engineer II
Bristol, CT - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 747598BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Feb. 14, 2020
Job Summary:Working at The Walt Disney Company inside DTCI-Technology is unlike anything else. That’s because we are always finding new ways to interact with guests/fans that are passionate about all platforms we support. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
DTCI-Technology operates a high volume and fast-paced environment where it relies on a highly skilled team of engineers to solve problems in real time in order to avoid service disruption to our end users.
The successful candidate must have superior troubleshooting skills as well as knowledge and experience specific to PCR’s, Studio’s, Transmission, and Evertz router systems.
- Work as a member of the DTCI Technology team and the division’s Media Engineering & Operations team to implement state of the art production control rooms and distribution systems at our headquarters in Bristol Connecticut.
- Respond to and resolve issues that affect show production and content distribution across multiple DTCI networks.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose issues affecting all elements within our ecosystem.
- When required perform preventative maintenance on all TV broadcasting systems and equipment, such as production switchers, Intercom panels, Broadcast PC’s located within the PCR, Audio console maintenance, Evertz 7700/7800 frame controllers and associated cards, and other critical PCR based broadcast production equipment.
- Respond to and resolve Broadcast facility issues and perform oversight and maintenance on key Transmission/RF contribution and distribution systems.
- When required, perform preventative maintenance on all TV broadcasting systems and equipment, such as MPEG Compression systems, Encoders, Multiplexers, Modulators, Protection Switches, Uplink Based Conditional Access and Decoder Control, Integrated Receiver Decoders (IRDs), switchers, consoles, playout servers, cameras, robotics, and electromechanical equipment.
- Monitors the performance of systems; maintains system configuration history of changes, troubleshoots and participates in repairing systems problems and failures, participates in leading or leads the maintenance of systems, installs software patches, updates etc., to resolve and avoid service problems, and troubleshoots system problems as they relate to these services.
- Responds to system outages, malfunctions, and related technical problems, and conducts diagnostic testing, repair and replacement activities necessary to solve routine, specialized, and complex problems.
- Develops and implements effective preventative maintenance and diagnostic/solutions, techniques and procedures.
- Coordinates and / or performs upgrades to system hardware and software; coordinates the activities of technicians involved in the deployment and configuration of the systems, and with vendors on moves, additions and re-locations of systems or equipment.
- Foster collaboration with production team members to best understand their use case for PCR production equipment and develop solutions with our production partners and our design engineering staff to curate and implement needed changes.
- Participates in planning or plans for the facility infrastructure; participates in evaluating or evaluates new technologies, in researching network and system configurations for future implementation of DTCI’s systems.
- Maintain up to date operational procedures to support daily productions and emergency recovery scenarios.
- Generates and organizes required project technical documentation required to support and operate all company broadcast facilities.
- Monitors project progress and periodically updates project schedules, noting achievement of milestones and issues requiring resolution.
- 2+ years of experience in PCR Engineering Support.
- Experience with High Priority / High Visibility live television production.
- Demonstrated experience Grass Valley Video Production Switchers (Kayenne / Kalypso)
- Demonstrated experience with Evertz EXE / EQX Video Routing systems (Router operations and panel interaction)
- Demonstrated experience with Lawo Consoles / Riedel and RTS communication systems
- Strong background in Broadcast Engineering fundamentals which include:
- Video Timing
- Signal Flow
- HD video standards
- Signal format changes
- Audio standards (AES / Embedded SDI / Dolby)
- Demonstrated ability and skill for component-level troubleshooting required on Studio equipment, Power Supplies, Video and Audio connections, Brainstorm Virtual sensors, Studio Pedestals and Robotic Camera Pedestals, and other associated stage / PCR equipment.
- Demonstrated understanding of signal routing control systems to route video/audio and IP signals.
- Must be knowledgeable of the different video/audio CODECs used in program transmission.
- Has in-depth experience providing Highly Availability Windows/Unix/Linux environments.
- Has a solid understanding of SCSI, Fibre Channel, SAN, NAS, RAID and I/O Storage Sub-Systems. Principles.
- In-Depth experience with FTP, SSH, HTTP/S, SNMP, and DNS.
- Familiarity with television transmission operations, MPEG and JPEG CODECS, and ASI stream analyzers
- Knowledge of basic Networking concepts such as: Routers, Switches, Subnetting, Ethernet cable installation and termination and proper cabling to support service inputs/outputs and plant integration
- IP multicast, SDI, ASI, Analog Audio, AES audio, HDMI, Display Port, Component, Composite, Ethernet, Serial Data.
- Experience in the use of specialized electronic test and monitoring equipment including spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, network analyzers, broadcast scopes, and transport stream analyzers.
- Ability to support teleport facilities with a working knowledge of Crystal monitoring systems.
- Physical requirements and work environment: Ability to climb ladders, work on raised structures and building roofs, operate areal lift platforms, operate forklifts.
- Has extensive knowledge of television production hardware, software, systems and specifications, TCP\\IP protocols on servers and workstations, systems management and server administration.
- Advance demonstrated IT skills including TCP/IP networking concepts and equipment, storage systems, redundant computer system concepts, administration, etc.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with Digital Center 1 and Digital Center 2 infrastructure and interoperability with other DTCI production sites (LAPC, Seaport, Charlotte).
- Ability to mentor other engineers as part of an integrated Media Engineering & Operations Team.
- Has an intermediate level of knowledge related to PCR, MCR, ACR, studio, digital, audio, and other broadcast type facilities and their operational use and maintenance.
- Basic to intermediate computer certification(s) or ITIL Certification
- Experience/Understanding of ESPN production technologies.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in a Technology related field or a minimum of 4 years of experience in a media/broadcast environment as described above.
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Direct-to-Consumer and International, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.