Mgr Software EngineeringApply NowApply Later Job ID 10066105 Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States / Town of Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology Date posted Oct. 18, 2023
The Walt Disney Company has a rich tradition of creating innovative products and magical experiences for millions of people around the world. Software Engineers are at the heart of that innovation and magic, building platforms, services, tools and infrastructure for an unmatched collection of content and brands such as ESPN, Disney, and ABC.
As Manager of Software Engineering in the Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology organization, you will lead a team of developers helping to build and power ESPN’s consumer-facing products. Every day, you’ll work with team members across disciplines, implementing solutions to very complex and challenging problems for a variety of systems involved with the ESPN platforms. We’re looking for a self-motivated team player with a strong desire to improve the people, products and services they build and support. Someone who holds themselves and their teammates accountable in a professional, collaborative manner. An enthusiastic technologist who can provide a fresh perspective and innovative insight to our initiatives.
- Demonstrate determination in finding solutions to complex puzzles.
- Have the curiosity to research and learn new technologies.
- Employ positive thinking and are able to work constructively in a diverse team setting.
- Are passionate about software development.
- Value learning and being exposed to new experiences.
- Love working in a startup culture.
…Then working at Disney is unlike anything else. We have the latest technology, game-changing ideas, and world-class talent. Come be a part of our team and help us find new ways to interact with users, however and wherever they connect with our brands.
You will lead a team and help build and support the data and content pipelines behind the live processing of our core systems, build and support the taxonomy systems that power the products across our brands and build and support the tools and systems around our Content Management and Syndication Platforms. You’ll be expected to deliver quickly and iteratively in an agile environment while providing mentorship and leadership to your team members as they build a world class platform supporting one of Disney’s premier brands.
You’ll make a great fit for our team if you like to do these things:
- Manage a mixed team of full time and contracted engineers of all levels of skill and experience.
- Collaborate with product managers and fellow engineers in the design and implementation of systems delivering high throughput personalized experiences.
- Drive the planning, design, and implementation of both short-term projects and long-term infrastructure initiatives.
- Interface with a variety of stakeholders to define requirements and project timelines.
- Efficiently operate mission-critical cloud-based services, with an emphasis in reliability, security, and performance.
- Analyze and resolve complex engineering problems involving high trafficked web and mobile application services and APIs.
- Work with the team to iteratively improve development practices and processes.
- Perform code reviews and guide the technical direction of the team.
- Help with full-stack development when needed.
- Research and experiment with the latest and greatest technologies to identify, evangelize, and apply them to current and future projects.
BS Computer Science or related technical discipline or its equivalent.
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and manage the deployment/operations of complex web service tiers and persistence layers
- Ability to lead a team of software engineers, providing mentorship and setting technical direction
- Deep understanding of web architecture including HTTP, caching and API delivery paradigms (REST, GraphQL)
- Strong knowledge in Java and experience with multiple open-source technologies like Spring, Tomcat, Nginx, Solr, Redis, MongoDB, GraphQL, etc
- Strong understanding of both relational and NoSQL Persistence stores and the ability to determine which is the right tool for the job
- Experience with developing for public clouds like Google Cloud Platform (GCP) or Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Knowledge of authentication & authorization systems such as OAuth, Token Auth or LDAP
- Experience with full software development lifecycle and common best practices like unit testing, collaborative version control flows, and continuous integration
- Proven ability to work on a diverse scope of software and database projects requiring detailed analysis and creative/practical problem solving
- Strong analytical skills and capabilities for resolving a wide range of issues in innovative ways
- Self-starter with an interest in industry trends and a passion for innovation and raising the bar
- Proven experience developing, monitoring, and maintaining high-volume and highly-available distributed systems
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and manage technical teams, including performance management
- Experience with real-time messaging frameworks, such as Kafka or AWS Messaging services
- Hands-on experience performing DevOps duties and developing infrastructure as code (Jenkins, TeamCity, AWS CloudFormation, Terraform, Kubernetes)
- Natural leader with the ability to organize, energize, and influence others
The hiring range for this position in Bristol, CT is $164,500 - $220,600 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology:
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.