Part Time Associate EditorApply NowApply Later Job ID 10024160 Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States / Los Angeles, California, United States / Town of Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business ESPN Date posted Sep. 22, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
The Part Time Associate Editor will be primarily responsible for editing and maintenance for all of ESPN Mobile App's push notifications News Lane programming. On a daily basis, this person will assess content from a variety of sources (includes wire services, partners, ESPN staffers, freelancers, plus interactive elements, social media, audio and video) to determine how it fits into our daily news coverage and programming needs. The editor evaluates all sport page copy and headlines, provides feedback on all art and video, and works to package this content in a manner that is dynamic enough to entice users to delve deeper into the app. Must be an excellent headline writer and able to present and tell stories in a tight space. Must show good judgment in prioritizing all online content for a national audience.
This is a Part Time, 29 hour/week position with preferred location of CT or LA.
- The Part Time Associate Editor will assess multiple stories on a daily basis. These will include managing an overall style and voice.
- Along with the daily programming and alerts roles, the Part Time Associate Editor will be involved in short and long-term editorial planning, creating programming strategies specifically tailored to the content and audience consumption patterns.
- The Part Time Associate Editor manages and tracks contributions from more than 125 ESPN reporters. Video contributions must be vetted in collaboration with the Digital Video team, and pushed into prominent spots on the site, on social media, and on TV.
- The Part Time Associate Editor will work across multiple content and delivery platforms on to develop in-depth projects, feature packages and daily content.
- Minimum of 1 year working in a high-level sports media environment, including previous leadership roles.
- Possess a expert-level knowledge of one or more of NFL, NBA, MLB, UFC, College Football and College Basketball, including fantasy and gambling areas. This includes not just on-field expertise, but a knowledge of the cutting-edge thoughts, trends and writers covering the sport.
- Understand and follow closely the latest in fan engagement data and key performance metrics to optimize content creation and distribution to fans.
- Strong understanding and appreciation of news and story play.
- Excellent headline writing skills, an understanding of search engine optimization.
- Work quickly and juggle multiple varied tasks during a typical work day.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in online media content preparation. Applicants must have the ability to work in a rapidly changing online environment and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Sports takes place on nights, weekends and holidays -- and those shifts will be regular and required.
- Have a background or quickly become competent in HTML.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and holidays.
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc, which is part of a business we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.