Part-Time Statistics Analyst IApply NowApply Later Job ID 10070549 Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States / Town of Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business ESPN Date posted Nov. 13, 2023
ESPN’s Stats & Information Group produces world-class data, insights and storytelling to ensure sports fans trust ESPN for depth and perspective. We are All-Star Teammates who Focus on Quality and drive Innovation. And every day, we strive to be Curious, Inclusive, and Accountable, all while Sweating the Details and Serving Sports Fans by Being One.
Stats Analyst I is a part-time role on the Stats & Analysis team within ESPN’s Stats & Information Group. Scores and stats on virtually all ESPN platforms – a TV graphic, the BottomLine, ESPN.com, Fantasy, GameCast – are produced or maintained by the Stats & Analysis team. Stats Analyst Is ensure the accuracy of this data (scores, schedules, standings, rosters, etc.) on ESPN platforms worldwide. They work with automated data feeds and use manual data entry to ensure the delivery of accurate, timely, and insightful sports data.
Stats Analysts also are responsible for helping turn stats into story lines. They must be able to recognize statistical events that help explain why a team won or lost. Those candidates with specialized training, skills, and knowledge – such as in mathematics, economics , databases, SQL programming, etc. -- can use their skills in support of Stats & Information projects and story-telling.
- Ensure sports data distributed by Stats & Information is accurate, timely, and insightful.
- Work in individual settings and in groups to deliver accurate play-by-play, clock-and-score, and other statistics and data in real time that power a multitude of ESPN products and productions..
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of Stats & Information’s role in powering ESPN digital products and TV productions.
- Verify the results of one’s own work and that of others; perform with a consistently high attention to detail.
- Contribute to production, projects, and initiatives across the newsroom, and assist newsroom leaders who are directing full- and part-time staff.
- Anticipate potential problems, both daily and long-term, and offer potential solutions. Communicate quickly and decisively with colleagues on these issues.
- Take a proactive role in working with colleagues in developing or refining production processes.
- Be an active participant in team and department meetings.
- Seek and respond to feedback around personal performance.
- Stay informed of current department policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of teams, players, and the rules of the games.
- Full schedule availability, which will include nights (almost exclusively), weekends, and holidays.
- Capability to quickly learn production processes that produce and/or maintain sports data that powers ESPN’s digital and TV products.
- Capability to achieve a high degree of content accuracy in time-sensitive production situations.
- Capability to communicate assertively – verbally and in writing – to production supervisors and peers about production issues and opportunities, often through the din of a busy newsroom.
- 1+ years’ working in sports and/or statistics, preferably in media.
- Knowledge of how sports data is used in media and for research purposes.
- Working knowledge of ESPN products and productions.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and other Office products
- Experience leading or coaching a team.
- Ability to speak and write Spanish
- Experience using social media in a business or news environment
High School diploma or equivalent
College degree or equivalent
Additional Information: (i.e. physical requirements, holiday, nights, weekend shifts, etc.)
Position works nights (almost exclusively), weekends, and holidays.
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc, which is part of a business we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.