Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 690058BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 24/07/2019
Here at the DTCI Productivity Engineering team, we are responsible for modernizing and optimizing the development workflows for a wide variety of projects across a diverse technology ecosystem.
A Staff Software Engineer on the Productivity Engineering team will focus on speed to market enhancements that benefit a wide variety of projects. This person will architect and design innovated solutions using cutting-edge technologies to problems that only a company as unique and diverse as Disney could produce.
Our ideal candidate is creative, energetic and has a desire to learn new technologies. He/she will have a passion for demonstrating skill and precision in his/her work, and cannot simply leave well enough alone.
The Productivity Engineering team maintains UI testing, quality assurance and performance testing tools for every major platform across DTCI. This includes ABC Entertainment, ESPN.com and affiliate sites, ESPN+ native applications on both Android and iOS, ESPN Fantasy applications, ESPN Fantasy web, ESPN Multiplatform device applications (aka OTT) and other various properties that touch all of the above.
Filling this role will allow the Productivity Engineering team to continue to pursue standardizations across the DTCI organization to reduce wasted development effort in the every stage of the development lifecycle, while ensuring that the development teams maintain Disney Quality.
This Principal Engineer position within the Productivity Engineering team is responsible for designing and developing solutions to optimize and augment every aspect of the product development life-cycle. This includes:
- Design and implement cloud-based distributed systems for CI/CD tools
Create self-reinforcing feedback loops that will scale across departments and teams
- Monitor data streams for anomalies, triage any issues found and report problems to stakeholders
- Evaluate the development processes of widely disparate teams to ensure consistency based upon industry standards
- Interface with engineers and stakeholders from across internal groups and external vendors.
- Direct more junior members in implementations of customized tools
- Minimum 8 years of software engineering experience
- Hands-on experience with API-related technologies HTTP, REST, XML and JSON.
- Experience developing on mobile and OTT devices.
- A self-starter with demonstrated initiative – able to handle multiple tasks and priorities.
- Able to manage competing priorities and work collaboratively.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Understanding of modern software engineering processes including but not limited to application delivery.
- Enjoys solving difficult problem with unique technical solutions.
- Thrives in open communication and professionally transparent environment.
- Minimum 1 year of experience with modern front-end and native application frameworks
- Minimum 2 years' experience leading a development team onsite and/or offshore.
- Minimum 1 year of experience with a cloud-computing platform (Google, AWS, IBM, etc.)
- Minimum 2 years' experienced in TDD methodologies and Agile development
Bachelor’s degree in Information Management, Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Math
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.