Principal Systems Engineer
Bristol, Connecticut, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 918894BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jan. 18, 2022
Job Summary:Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) brings together the Company’s best-in-class product, technology, and commercialization teams together into one global organization. DMED is responsible for the P&L management and all distribution, network and engineering operations, sales, advertising, data, and certain key technology functions worldwide for the Company's content engines. DMED also manages operations of the Company's streaming services including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney+ HotStar; and domestic broadcast and cable television networks.
DMED Technology creates products, platforms, and innovations for the DMED Segment and the Walt Disney Company by driving the strategic development and use of technology, building scalable systems and products to empower our businesses and engage consumers. With global scale, local presence, and deep technological excellence, DMED Technology helps DMED and The Walt Disney Company optimize technology, platforms, and resources, bring creative ideas to life and create industry-shaping approaches.
- Translate enterprise business strategy into domain blueprints and roadmaps. This will require negotiating with senior management and customers to influence decisions and strategic direction.
- Apply deep technical knowledge for the compute and storage domains in a project or Enterprise context across the Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution organization.
- Responsible for ensuring that consistent practices are followed, reference architectures are developed and maintained. This will be accomplished by instituting and leading an architecture review board.
- Responsible for developing, maintaining and applying standards for projects and programs.
- Responsible to expand and enhance current Disaster Recovery practices for ABC OnAir, LATAM OnAir, EMEA OnAir and ESPN as defined by the individual Business Continuity requirements. Introduce new tools to accelerate the migration from the primary data center to the selected Disaster Recovery site. Recommend and employ new practices such as Amazon Web Services.
- Responsible to complete discovery activities for compute (i.e. servers, AWS Outpost, etc.) and Storage solutions (Pure, IBM, etc.), recommend and design the specific implementations to support the requirements of the individual business groups (Disney+, ESPN Linear, Studios, etc.)
- Continually evaluates, maintains, and implements improves the ESPN video tape library infrastructure. Work with the Media storage team to produce a replacement strategy for old systems.
- Perform system performance trend analysis as required
- Works with external stakeholders and vendor support to replace hardware failures and remediate software issues
- Manage the development, implementation and administration of operational processes, programs, and systems
- Take ownership and triage cases via helpdesk ticketing system, monitoring Slack channels, provide regular updates to users, and manage requests to meet business SLA’s
- All other duties as required to help achieve business goals, including but not limited to, availability for afterhours escalated support
- Twelve or more years of previous and relevant experience
- Demonstrated expertise in scripting using Perl, Bash, Shell or equivalent
- Possesses strong analytical and technical skills
- Excellent understanding of storage systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills: Ability to communicate effectively with end-users, business owners, developers, managers, and systems engineers
- Ability to discuss highly technical concepts to a variety of audiences, including executive level and technical decision-makers
- Industry expert and understanding of software solutions for content creation, manipulation, encoding/transcoding and distribution.
- Have a thorough knowledge of the syntax, capabilities, and limitations of the Linux operating systems including knowledge of the interaction between production programs and the operating system
- Strong commitment to customer service and service enablement
- Demonstrates ability to deliver detailed technical documentation
- Experience working within an Agile Scrum methodology
- Knowledge of process management, process streamlining, and process organization tools as well as a fundamental understanding of ITIL best practices
- Expert knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
- Expert knowledge in working and supporting storage systems
- Expert scripting and automation skills (e.g., PowerShell, vbscript, Python, UNIX shell, etc.)
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Twelve or more years of previous and relevant experience
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.