Senior Manager, Software Engineering - ESPN Sports Content & Data
Bristol, Connecticut, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 888515BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Nov. 18, 2021
Job Summary:Flexible Locations, include: NYC / Seattle, WA / Burbank, CA / Bristol, CT
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
DMED is an equal opportunity employer – Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.
As a Senior Manager in the Core Data Platform team, you will manage a team of full time and contracted engineers of all levels tasked to build and support the data and content pipelines behind the live processing of our core systems, build and support the taxonomy systems that power the products across our brands and build and support the tools and systems around our Content Management and Syndication Platforms.
As a Senior Manager of Engineering, you will be responsible to guide your team in building extensible solutions, at scale, and advancing our platform onto modern frameworks and technologies. You will interact with numerous teams to define scalable workflows in and out of the pipeline, providing a strong foundation for many products. Examples include live scoring, content distribution and taxonomies supporting products like ESPN+, ESPN.com, the ESPN and Fantasy apps, ESPN Studio shows, Bottomlines among others.
- Drive the planning, design, and implementation of short and long-term projects, working together with the product and project management teams to define requirements, timelines, SLA's, etc.
- Provide mentorship and set technical direction for engineers under your guidance
- Perform code reviews, enforce best practices, work with the team to iteratively improve development practices and processes. When needed, get your hands in the code.
- Research and experiment with the latest and greatest technologies to identify, evangelize, and apply them to current and future projects
- Extensive work experience in a consumer-oriented media company or software development company with at least 3 years in a technology management role.
- Experience managing engineers of all expertise levels, including contracted workforce, in multiple locations around the country and world.
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail
- Proven experience in developing or leading development of high volume, cached, fault tolerant, multi-threaded scalable systems
- Strong knowledge in Java and experience with multiple open-source technologies like; Spring, Tomcat, Nginx, Solr, Redis, MongoDB, GraphQL, etc.
- Highly knowledgeable in cloud-based technologies such as AWS EC2, ECS, SQS, S3, Lambda, CloudFormation, etc.
- Expertise with full lifecycle of application development, including best practices of unit testing, code reviews, documentation, etc.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies
- Demonstrated ability to work on a diverse scope of software and database projects requiring detailed analysis, creative/practical problem solving, strong analytical skills as well as solid capabilities for debugging and troubleshooting.
- BS Computer Science or related technical discipline or its equivalent
- 10+ years relevant industry experience
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.