Senior Publicist College SportsApply NowApply Later Job ID 864959BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business ESPN and Sports Content Date posted Oct. 19, 2021
- Serve as the primary communications contact for College GameDay (football and basketball), as well as men’s college basketball
- Additional PR properties under this position’s purview include ESPN Events, ESPN’s owned and operated events business, as well as a handful of Olympic sport assignments
- Develop and execute detailed publicity campaigns for College GameDay & manage publicity and on-site presence for media covering the show each week
- Oversee all day-to-day PR strategy and planning for the men’s college basketball category – which annually features more than 2,500 games, including schedule announcements, media opportunities, issue management, and more
- Identify and create story angles, pitch them to various media outlets and generate publicity results
- Interact with key executives on interviews and other PR matters
- Work closely with on-air commentators -- on interviews, PR planning and issue management
- Develop press materials, including press kits, press releases, fact sheets, bios, plan press events, etc.;
- Manage issues, strategize and create external messaging for major announcements and work with external contacts to maximize PR
- Embrace new tools and approaches to serve as a 360 communicator, serving both internal and external audiences. Generate story ideas and multimedia assets to creatively engage a variety of audiences online. This includes creating regular new material for ESPN’s internal employee website, content for ESPN PR social platforms and ESPN Front Row, the company’s outward-facing corporate blog;
- Contribute to overall ESPN communications dept. planning, strategy and direction
- Support team in all assigned press activities related to ESPN’s college sports areas
- Maintain relationships with key media members in various beats, including television, business, sports, trades, and non-traditional media (Blogs, Social Platforms and influencers);
- Lead content creation efforts and maximize social media to effectively message company initiatives.
- Understand the demands of working for a 24/7 media company and be willing and available to work evenings and weekends;
- Develop internal and external messaging on key issues;
- Advise company spokespersons regarding their communication on key issues to media and others;
- When appropriate, act as company liaison and spokesperson with media;
- Monitor industry news in print, online and on social media platforms and advise appropriate executives of important developments;
- Maintain and improve executive visibility by identifying speaking and industry recognition opportunities;
- Build strong internal relationships to work collaboratively across teams and departments;
- Collaborate with designated PR reps from key clients and business partners to drive shared goals;
- Maintain press lists and create results reports related to specific initiatives.
- At least 3 years’ experience in television communications, public relations or media relations working with and pitching reporters beyond sports, securing story placement, managing and reporting follow-up and coordinating events
- Excellent PR, communications and writing skills
- Results-oriented and experienced in media pitching across spectrum of media (TV, print, online, radio, magazines, trades)
- Demonstrated knowledge/understanding of sports, media and news value
- National media contacts across TV (morning/late night), print, online, magazines, radio, trades
- Strategic and creative thinker
- Self-starter and positive personality
- Experience in public speaking
- Ability to handle multiple tasks on deadline in fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in social media: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, etc.
- Knowledge of TV ratings and sports cable TV landscape preferred
- Flexibility, resourcefulness and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing and growing environment
- Must be able to travel frequently for work/production/events.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Communications, PR, Journalism or other relevant areas
About ESPN and Sports Content:
The ESPN and Sports Content group acquires and produces ESPN’s live sports programming, as well as sports news and original and non-scripted sports-related content, for The Walt Disney Company’s cable channels, ESPN+, and ABC.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN, Inc, which is part of a business segment we call ESPN and Sports Content.
ESPN, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.