Senior PublicistApply Now Apply Later Job ID 733766BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business ESPN Date posted Dec. 24, 2019
The ideal candidate will bring public relations experience; exceptional news judgment, including existing relationships with sports, television and trade press (print, digital and TV); a strong understanding of and experience in the digital, graphics and social media spaces; and outstanding communications skills. Superb writing skills, self-motivation and an unwavering results orientation are also essential
Responsibilities:The Senior Publicist will be responsible for all public relations/press activities and execute communications strategies in support of Corporate Citizenship (including V Week and the Humanitarian Awards), ESPN Audio (notably the New York and Los Angeles stations and assisting with PR for podcasts), WNBA, and assisting with efforts focused on ESPN’s Operations department and tennis. Other assignments are likely depending on circumstances and interest. The senior publicist will help create, develop and execute publicity strategies for the above areas to help drive their respective business goals.
- Embrace new tools and approaches to serve as a “360 communicator,” serving both internal and external audiences in efficient, impactful ways. Generate story ideas and multimedia assets to creatively engage a variety of audiences online. This includes collaborating on daily, fresh material for ESPN’s internal employee website and ESPN Front Row, the company’s corporate blog;
- Maintain relationships with key members of the media on various beats, including sports, television, business, sports editors, trades and non-traditional media (Blogs, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube) and influencers;
- Understand the demands of working for a 24/7 media company and be willing and available to work evenings and weekends when necessary and in keeping with Disney’s focus on work/life balance;
- Develop internal and external messaging and display leadership on key issues to help company spokespersons regarding communication on key topics and issues;
- When appropriate, act as company liaison and spokesperson with media;
- Monitor industry news in print, online and on social media platforms and advise appropriate executives of important developments in real time;
- Pitching wide array of writers/influencers regarding news content and generating results from those efforts;
- Strategize on big picture campaigns and the results/stories that will be generated from that planning and execution;
- Maintain and improve executive and talent visibility by identifying speaking, panelist and industry recognition opportunities;
- Build strong internal relationships to collaboratively work across teams and departments especially with commentators, programming and production;
- Collaborate with designated PR representatives from key clients and business partners to drive shared business goals;
- Develop press materials, including multimedia press kits, press releases, fact sheets, bios, press events and related communication;
- Maintain press lists and create results reports related to specific initiatives.
- Minimum 3 years applicable industry experience
- Experience in television communications, public relations or media relations working with and pitching reporters beyond sports, securing story placement, managing and reporting follow-up and coordinating events.
- Background in or extensive knowledge of TV, digital or print journalism.
- Strong, proven writing skills and ability to write “tight” and informative features/profiles in addition to news releases and bios.
- Ability to work independently;
- Basic knowledge of television business, including but not limited to ratings, advertising, marketing, emerging technologies, (i.e. digital services, HDTV, VOD, OTT, authentication), web and digital entertainment.
- Familiarity with, and past use of, social media channels.
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills.
- Must understand the ESPN brand as well as competitive brands in both traditional and emerging sectors, especially TV, online, wireless.
- Strong knowledge of PR field including experience in media relations, press campaign development, issue management and execution of creative, strategic and well-thought communications plans.
- Passion for sports, journalism, television and media.
- General knowledge of inter-department relationships and business issues including but not limited to Programming, Production, Ad Sales and Affiliate Relations.
- Disciplined organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Flexibility, resourcefulness and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing and growing environment.
- Proactive self-starter who works well within a team, strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to travel for work/production/events.
- Ability to work under pressure of time constraints.
- Strong business ethics.
- Minimum of 4 years applicable industry experience
- Combined past experience in both Communications and Journalism for major entities
- Writing, editing, multimedia samples
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or other relevant areas
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN, Inc, which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.