Senior Systems Reliability Engineer - Big Data Platform
Bristol, CT - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 662257BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 02/05/2019
The internet-scale platforms that you design and build will be a core assets in the delivering the highest quality content to over 150MM+ consumers on monthly basis. This is an opportunity to fundamentally evolve how DTCI delivers content and monetizes our audiences.
- Build cool things – Build automation using your software and system expertise to automate everything from creating and managing infrastructure to deploy and operationalize hundreds of instances handling peta byte scale data processing.
- Harness curiosity – Explore cutting edge cloud native products and open source frameworks to efficiently use production infrastructure with security and high availability in mind.
- Innovate and inspire – Think of new ways to help make our data platform more scalable, resilient and reliable and then work across our team to put your ideas into action.
- Think at scale – Operationalize our peta-byte scale batch & stream processing platform which uses multiple distributed systems such as Apache Kafka, Kafka Streams, Apache Cassandra, Apache Druid.
- Grow with us – Help us stay ahead of the curve by working closely with data architects, stream processing specialists, API developers, our DevOps team, and analysts to design systems which can scale elastically in ways which make other groups jealous.
- Lead and coach – Come up with re-usable automation frameworks and help other software engineers to easily automate the workloads.
- Build and Support – Embrace the DevOps mentality to build, deploy and support applications in cloud with minimal help from other teams.
- Not your first rodeo – Have 6+ years of experience building and supporting large (100s of nodes) distributed clusters, ideally Apache Spark, Hadoop, HBASE, Apache Kafka, Apache Cassandra, Airflow or similar. Use scripting languages such as shell, python to automate workflows.
- Cloud ninja –You are also very handy with IaC (Infrastructure as Code) approach and apply those using CloudFormation, Terraform or similar. Plenty of experience with developing and deploying in a cloud native environment preferably AWS cloud is must.
- Have a technology toolbox – Hands on experience with newer technologies for deployment, auto scaling and monitoring. Tools includes but not limited to Kubernetes, Packer, InfluxDB, Grafana etc.
- Problem solver – Enjoy new and meaningful technology or business challenges which require you to think and respond quickly.
- Passion and creativity – Are passionate about data, technology, & creative innovation.
- Bachelor’s degree or better in Computer Science or a related technical field or equivalent job experience.
- Masters in Computer Science or similar is preferred
- Prior experience building internet scale platforms – handling Peta- byte scale data, operationalizing clusters with hundreds of compute nodes in cloud environment.
- Experience in operationalizing Machine Learning workflows to scale will be a huge plus.
- Experience with supporting REST APIs & large distributed databases will be a plus
- Experience with supporting Java/Scala/Python based application in Kubernetes environment will be a plus.
- Proficiency with agile development methodologies shipping features every two weeks. It would be awesome if you have a robust portfolio on Github and / or open source contributions you are proud to share.
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.