Software Engineer III
Bristol, CT - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 764969BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States; Glendale, California, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Aug. 27, 2020
Job Summary:The Content Distribution & Entitlement team provides the delivery platform upon which Direct-to-Consumer & International apps and sites such as ESPN, ABC News, National Geographic and others are built. This backend engineering team is responsible for the secure and reliable delivery of content to guest facings applications and services.
We are seeking a highly collaborative and creative Java Software Engineer to join a team of engineers handling complex systems that power a dazzling array of Disney’s best-in-class News and Sports products.
If hired, you will play a meaningful role in the evolution and support of if a highly scalable content entitlements system, with responsibilities for the technical implementation of medium size projects and features.
- Focus on major areas of work, typically 20% or more of role
- Plan and deliver implementations on medium sized projects and take critical roles with the team on larger projects
- Participate in the design and implementation of multi-layered systems delivering high throughput consumer facing experiences
- Oversee service performance, scalability, and event planning requirements
- Review code and work with junior engineers to ensure product and design specifications are met
- Collaborate & troubleshoot with the rest of the team in the analysis and resolution of hard engineering problems involving high trafficked web application services and API’s
- Research and learn new technologies
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing high volume, cached, fault tolerant, multi-threaded scalable systems
- Exposure to full lifecycle of application development, including best practices of unit testing, code reviews, documentation, etc.
- Experience with cloud-based technologies such as AWS EC2, S3, Lambda, etc.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail
- 4+ years relevant industry experience writing applications in Java
- Experience in Python development a plus, but not required
- Experience with Spring/Spring-Boot a plus, but not required.
- BS Computer Science or related technical discipline or its equivalent
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.