Bristol, CT - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 660114BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 12/06/2019
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. DTCI Technology is responsible for worldwide linear and digital media distribution, design and development of consumer-facing digital products, advertising technology, consumer data platforms and international broadcast operations. DTCI Technology works in close collaboration with the Disney Streaming Services technology team, who focus on design and development of direct-to-consumer subscription streaming services.
This is an exciting role for a passionate software engineer to join Direct-to-Consumer and International Division of Disney. The Software Engineer will play a critical role in building the engines that power product features on WatchESPN, ESPN+, DisneyNow and WatchABC. Responsibilities include technical design and implementation of various projects and features. In this role you will be building high throughput and scalable systems delivering content and personalized services to client applications.
This position is 100% hands-on development with opportunity to influence design and specifications. The ideal candidate will have strong understanding of web architectures and OO software design patterns along with demonstrated experience delivering web services utilizing common Java technologies (containers, servlets, spring, etc.) and cloud services (AWS, lambda, API Gateway, etc.)
- Participate in the design and implementation of systems delivering high throughput services.
- Write efficient, reliable, and maintainable code whether implementing architectural improvements, user-facing features, or fixing bugs
- Collaborate & troubleshoot with the rest of the team in the analysis and resolution of hard engineering problems involving high trafficked web application services and API’s
- Participate in sprint plan review meetings to review functional and design specs and understand how those impact features in development
- Interface with internal & external teams to define requirements and schedules on tasks
- Work with our Automation team to translate manual test cases in automated test scripts
- Provide support to partner teams analyzing data workflows and delivery of existing features
- Deliver working software, in coordination with the other Software Engineers on the team
- Manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced deadline-oriented environment
- Stay current with the latest development best practices
- Embrace a highly collaborative team that rewards quality code and effective communication
- Experience with object-oriented software development
- Demonstrated ability in developing enterprise applications (high volume transactions, caching, fault tolerant and scalable systems)
- Experience with Java
- Familiar with design patterns
- Ability to collaborate in a small, productive development team
- Proficient with all aspects of the Software Development Lifecycle
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies
- Passion for working with technology and excitement for creating high quality products
- Rigorous attention to detail and focus on quality of deliverables
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Industry certification
- Experience with any of the following technologies is a plus :
- Enterprise CMS
- Open sources frameworks and tools such as Spring, Hibernate, Solr, ehcache, Zuul, Zookeeper, Archaius, Hystrix, Consul and others
- Open source servlet containers such as Tomcat, Undertow, Nginex
- Lightweight containers like Docker
- Cloud-based technologies (AWS, EC2, S3, SQS, Kenises, DynamoDB)
- Familiar with Microservices architecture
- NoSQL databases such as MongoDB and Cassandra
- Familiar with Reactive programming and frameworks like Verit.x
- Automated testing frameworks like JUnit, Mockito, Cucumber and Gherkin
- HLS or other video streaming technologies
Required EducationBachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.