Bristol, CT - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 712575BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 22/10/2019
Job Summary:Working at The Walt Disney Company inside DTCI-Technology is unlike anything else. That’s because we are always finding new ways to interact with guests/fans that are passionate about all platforms we support. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
The Production Software Engineering team builds and supports enterprise web applications and services to support various video production teams within ESPN. The PSE Product Development team is seeking an individual capable of supporting and contributing to enhancements and fixes for single-page web applications, broadcast integrations and services necessary to facilitate media workflows including transmission ingest, edit, tracking and distribution activities. In addition to engineering responsibilities, this person will need to efficiently troubleshoot critical and time-sensitive production issues, recommend solutions to correct and avoid the problem and implement pro-active monitoring/alerting solutions to minimize impact of future instances. This role will have periodic on-call responsibilities. This person will work with and seek direction from application engineers across teams that integrate, enhance and facilitate control of broadcast engineering systems to support ESPN’s on-air digital content workflows as well as those supporting linear live and non-linear Digital Video and Audio distributions.
- Participating in writing code that meets specifications for complex software programs and systems.
- Performs technical maintenance and troubleshooting for complex systems.
- Performs analysis and contributions to design, development, documentation and/or testing.
- Implements activities that affect components or processes of the work of own unit, team and/or projects.
- Receives work in the form of defined goals that often require the application of independent judgment and discretion and the prioritization of tasks.
- Work is subject to supervisory review at intervals.
- Exercises discretion within the context of approved procedures.
- Must be flexible with work hours including tier III on-call rotation.
- Assists in development of monitoring solutions/dashboards.
- Responds quickly to production issues, ensuring optimal business continuity.
- Understands business processes and how our systems support those processes.
- Works with the engineering team to resolve and even enhance our systems to improve stability.
- Escalate/communicate system status as appropriate.
- Minimum of one year of experience supporting HA Enterprise-level services and scalable distributed web applications
- Experience developing java enterprise software.
- Experience with modern monitoring and alerting tools and methodologies.
- Takes direction well.
- Understands complex systems and integration points to pin-point problem areas
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Basic understanding of enterprise technology operations and organizational structures
- Well organized with good communications skills both written and oral
- Strong team work attitude/personality
- Understanding and/or experience with cloud-native architectures and offerings (via AWS or Azure).
- Has knowledge of broadcast and engineering systems that support television and digital media production and distribution.
- Understanding of multi-tier architectures, object oriented design patterns and concepts, and major software development life cycle methodologies.
- Knowledge in various monitoring and alerting solutions with tools such as Splunk, Kibana, Spectrum, New Relic and/or App-dynamics
- BS Computer Science or related technical discipline or its equivalent.
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.