Bristol, CT - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 750045BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Feb. 26, 2020
Job Summary:The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-To-Consumer and International (DTCI) is a new, global business segment for The Walt Disney Company with the mission of providing consumers around the world access to the content they want most, on the latest platforms, at a time of rapidly-evolving consumer habits. Combining the Company’s direct-to-consumer streaming services – ESPN+, Disney+ and its ownership stake in Hulu -- alongside Disney’s international media businesses, DTCI aligns cutting-edge technology with world-class content and beloved brands to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver highly-personalized entertainment experiences to diverse consumers around the world.
The Distribution Platforms team within the Consumer Platform Engineering segment of DTCI is an engineering team focused on building the server side components of high throughput consumer facing digital products. This team is responsible for the data delivery driving an enormous variety of consumer experiences across national and local news, real time sports scoring data, and streaming services. These are constantly evolving platforms taking advantage of the latest industry trends and technologies which are used to ship top quality digital products.
Responsibilities:You will architect, build and maintain features for backend applications and implement them on behalf of both content producers and developers who use these tools each and every day. You’ll be expected to deliver quickly and iteratively in an agile environment while building a world class platform supporting DTCI’s major brands.
You’ll make a great fit for our team if you like to do these things:
- Collaborate with product managers and fellow engineers in the design and implementation of product distribution systems delivering high throughput experiences
- Efficiently operate cloud-based services, with an emphasis in reliability, security, and performance
- Analyze and resolve complex engineering problems involving high trafficked web and mobile application services and APIs
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience
- Excellent programming skills and strong knowledge of the Java platform and Java web applications (Spring/Tomcat/etc)
- Understanding of web architecture including HTTP, caching and API delivery paradigms
- Exposure to full software development lifecycle and common best practices like unit testing, collaborative version control flows, and continuous integration
- Demonstrated ability to work on a diverse scope of software and database projects requiring detailed analysis and creative/practical problem solving
- Strong analytical skills and capabilities for resolving a wide range of issues in innovative ways
- Self-starter with an interest in industry trends and a passion for innovation and raising the bar
- Proven experience developing and maintaining high-volume and highly-available distributed
- Hands-on experience with developing and operating applications in Cloud-based environments like AWS
- Experience with real-time messaging frameworks, such as Kafka or AWS Messaging services
- Strong understanding of relational and NoSQL persistence stores and the ability to determine which is the right tool for the right job
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.