Sports Content Ingest Operator (Media Operator I)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 820274BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jul. 08, 2021
The Media Operator works with many business partners and customers within and outside of ESPN, including Production Control room personnel, remote production teams, and outside vendors. Work will be performed in a fast-paced environment and often under tight deadlines with a wide variety of content requirements. Media operators will demonstrate proficient skills in the use of all broadcast equipment and technology within assigned operating areas, processing media files for live and pre-recorded content across all ESPN linear and digital platforms. The Media Operator will be responsible for recording, editing, playback, transcoding, cataloguing, and archiving of various media formats and server-based material while ensuring all content meets ESPN’s standards for video and audio quality.
- Organization and distribution of all server content used for recording and playback.
- Check the video and audio quality of content during live and recorded programming, setting up records of incoming feeds and editing show content.
- Demonstrate knowledge in the use of all broadcast equipment and technology as assigned, including but not limited to, standard and high-definition operations, content management, linear and non-linear edit systems, encoding systems, server-based recordings/playback devices, server networking, tape deck and content duplication operations, broadcast routers, intercoms, planning of network content and media movement, EVS operations, and more.
- Operate in a fast paced, high pressure and deadline driven environment.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of editing techniques on non-linear systems.
- Understand complex information and disseminate it to proper personnel in a clear and concise manner.
- Measure audio and video signals to ensure quality control of ESPN endorsed standards on all operations using comprehensive knowledge of broadcast methods.
- Seek out information regarding the workflow of other business units, including their impact and/or specific integration with Network Operations.
- Problem solving, troubleshooting and effective report writing/communication to best convey follow-up and/or resolution.
- Participation in training programs, (physical, classroom, virtual, etc.) for self-career development and/or regarding any relevant equipment and workflow changes within the operation.
- May participate in training others in operational areas and generate training documentation.
- Understand Closed Captioning systems and associated workflows.
- Ability to collaborate with Technology Teams to enhance existing applications.
- Expected to provide strategic thinking for day-to-day operations.
- Expected to train and gain advanced skills in different operational areas to best facilitate the coordination of assignments.
- A minimum of 2 years practical Television Production or related experience at the large market or network level
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Flexibility to alter shifts/days off and work overtime to accommodate projects and departmental objectives.
- Must demonstrate ability to perform tasks under tight deadlines, work independently and lead simultaneous projects.
- Ability to work as a part of a team dynamic.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills are a necessity.
- Excellent organizational, efficiency and planning skills are required.
- Must be willing and able to adapt to a constantly changing environment.
- Candidates must have good computer background (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc...) and strong communication skills.
- Experience in a live production environment.
- Familiarity with server-based recording/playback and non-linear editing systems such as Quantel.
- Understanding of format conversions, EVS, transcoding systems and file formats.
- Bilingual (written and spoken) – English/Spanish
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Studio Production, Journalism or related field
- Vocational School Certification
- Related Experience
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.