Sr Software EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 7074075320220403 Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States / Town of Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jul. 25, 2022 Flex Type On-Site
- This role is considered on-site, which means the employee will work from a Company designated location on an ongoing basis.
Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) brings together the Company’s best-in-class product, technology, and commercialization teams into one global organization. DMED is responsible for all distribution, networking, engineering operations, sales, advertising, P&L management, data, and key technology functions for the Company's worldwide content engines. DMED manages operations of the Company's streaming services including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+ HotStar as well as domestic broadcast and cable television networks. DMED Technology delivers Disney content to users, viewers, and fans worldwide with more choice, personalization, and convenience than ever before. We do this for the DMED segment and for The Walt Disney Company by driving strategic development and use of technology; innovating scalable systems, platforms, and products that empower our businesses and engage our consumers. With global scale, local presence, and deep technological excellence DMED Technology optimizes DMED and The Walt Disney Company’s technology, platforms, and resources while bringing creative ideas to life through industry-shaping approaches. This role is a part of the DMED Media Software Engineering team - which drives design and engineering for DMED Technology’s global infrastructure and production facilities. Areas of focus include content creation systems and the distribution of digital and linear networks worldwide; our private global fiber network; linear content protection and security infrastructure; linear production and content management systems and services; radio stations; video encoding; media processing; interactive graphics and animation technologies; and leading all testing-to-adoption of video formats and standards. We strive to be a diverse team, passionate about great technology applied in imaginative ways to solve complex business challenges. We are a motivated team committed to lifelong learning and improvement both in and out of the office. We position ourselves to be flexible and adaptable to change both in how we execute projects and through the technologies used to deliver our solutions. We care about detail because every pixel, every line of code, and every consumer interaction with our products will determine whether we are delivering on our commitment to producing the absolute best. You will be joining a talented team that works interdependently toward aggressive goals delivering technically sound solutions. We work to ensure we share both accountability and credit as a team. We often include our clients as part of our team and we work to connect on a human level, understanding their world so we can best deliver software they will love to use.
- Provide hands on UI engineering leadership across various product teams
- Collaborate with leads to design and architect cloud native and service-oriented UI components and applications
- Collaborate with team and peers to design complex applications. Review code for design, testability, and clear usability
- Enable continuous improvement by identifying opportunities to improve the system/product/service with each iteration.
- Enable continuous deployment by championing quality engineering practices: linting, unit testing, web UI testing, pipeline automation
- Exercises judgment in selecting methods and techniques to resolve issues.
- Identify problems and opportunities and recommend the development of solutions
- Collaborate with and influence product teams to design, build and maintain system standards, processes, and adoption
- Check-in valuable, clean code daily adding new features and capabilities.
- Create reference implementations for the purpose of mentoring and leading more junior staff.
- Investigate and resolve production issues from end user (UI) to persistence layer.
- Work with the project management team to ensure that all deliverables are on time and of high quality
- Assist in rapid prototyping of design concepts to prove and test ideas with end-users
Basic Qualifications :
- 5+ years of experience in web application development or software engineering in a large enterprise environment using modern frameworks
- Strong attention to detail to ensure UI code is written in a way that can be tested both with unit tests and automated UI tests.
- Experience with deployment tools to packaging and deploy components using webpack or similar tools.
- Strong understanding of browsers, devices, OS, and other user agent interoperability and compatibility concerns
- Experience working with high-performing teams using Agile and Lean methodologies and frameworks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships with UX and Product Management teams across time zones
Preferred Qualifications :
- Hands on experience with reactive programming using Redux, TypeScript, SCSS, Jest, WebSocket protocol, Enzyme, Selenium/Nightwatch, Sauce Labs, Webpack, Babel, Node/Express, oAuth 2.0/JWT
- Working knowledge of GitLab CI/CD pipelines, Docker, Kubernetes.
- Previous work experience in media production, broadcast and/or distribution.
- Experience working with vendor teams to ensure quality, timeliness, and alignment with project goals.
- Strong curiosity about how Disney delivers Magic and a desire to be a part of it
Required Education :
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Engineering, or another technical field
Preferred Education :
- A Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related technical discipline is highly desirable.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.