Sr Software EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 10026979 Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States / United States / Town of Bristol, Connecticut, United States / Burbank, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Nov. 15, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
• Analyzes, designs, programs, debugs, and modifies software enhancements and/or new products used in local, networked, cloud-based or Internet-related computer programs. Code may either be used in commercial and end-user applications, or may focus on software and tools in support of infrastructure and technology platforms. Deliverables are typically large or highly complex software programs and systems. Has in depth knowledge of current programming language and technologies, writes code, completes programming, and may perform testing and debugging of applications. May interact with users to define system requirements and/or necessary modifications. Conceives, designs, develops, tests, and implements software components, fixes, enhancements, and/or new systems and applications. Codes at the component level. Designs and develops highly scalable software systems and applications. • An employee at this level is an experienced professional with solid foundational skill/knowledge in a given functional field
Ever wonder how the innovative storytelling from the world’s most beloved brands – Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, ESPN, 20th Century, National Geographic, FX, Freeform, Disney Channels, ABC, and more -- makes it to viewers around the globe and beyond (yes, we also deliver content to the International Space Station)? Come join our growing team that builds global products, platforms and tools that deliver and monetize our company's unmatched collection of content, power our businesses and reflect the company's innovative spirit.
We are the Content Platforms team with a mission to “reimagine the technical ecosystem that empowers The Walt Disney Company to harness its unparalleled storytelling and distribute it around the world.” Content Platforms is part of the Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution (DMED) segment which is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in conjunction with ESPN; Disney+, the Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; global advertising sales and ad technology for all of Disney’s media properties, including ABC, ESPN, Freeform, FX Networks, National Geographic and the Disney Channels; Hotstar, the leading over-the-top streaming service in India; and the Company’s majority ownership stake in Hulu.
- Enjoy working with teams of talented and passionate people
- Have excellent communication skills
- Demonstrate determination in finding solutions to complex puzzles
- Have curiosity and interest in how content goes from inception to consumers
- Employ positive thinking and can work constructively in a diverse team setting
- Enjoy transforming business strategy into innovative products & platforms
- Value learning and being exposed to new experiences
- Love working in a startup culture
- Find the Media & Entertainment industry fascinating
then Content Platforms team is the place for you. We are growing and investing in innovative technology to deliver a state-of-the-art content pipeline. Come be a part of the magic that makes The Walt Disney Company one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.”
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will use your deep coding, DevOps, and data skills to write and test code that delivers new features for our application portfolio. You will be an important part of a motivated team that collaborates to drive application architecture, code quality, and ensure we are building the right things for our users. The ideal candidate would possess deep skills in both server and client-side technology (Java, Node, RESTful Web Services), have cloud experience (Amazon Web Services preferred), while having worked with orchestration and containerization platforms (Serverless, Docker, Kubernetes), coupled with hands-on experience in data persistence and streaming technologies (Postgres, Redis, Kafka).
While The Walt Disney Company is a large company, ideally you have some previous experience in a startup environment and be comfortable performing multiple roles. We strive to get things done quickly, with high quality, and we are committed to the agile methodology. Our work is guided by lean principles (looking at value and looking for waste; not doing anything ‘for the sake of doing it’).
As a valued technical member of this agile team, you will work closely with other Software Engineers, Systems Engineers, Product Owners, Project Management, and other technical and business Stakeholders to plan, design, prototype, develop, test, deploy and support existing and new efficient and automated workflows geared toward a lean, fast-paced media supply chain. You will collaborate across the DMED organization to create POCs (Proof of Concept), drive automation, and create a service-based architecture in the pursuit of reimagining and pushing the traditional boundaries of media services, asset transport, and modern asset management. This is a unique opportunity for a self-motivated software developer with quality organizational and communication skills, who finds fulfillment in seeing their applications and workflows implemented and utilized by end users, integration partners and coworkers.
Responsibilities and Duties of the Role:
- Design, develop, document, and maintain code to automate and optimize the delivery of audio, video, and ancillary media, globally and at petabyte scale
- Develop product specifications with attention to business requirements, system integrations, consistency, and reusability
- Develop behavioral driven development (BDD) test cases and test plans, create the test environment, and conduct unit and system tests for new and/or modified applications and scripts
- Regularly Code Review team members' work and Pair Program where prudent, ensuring proper design, testability, and usability
- Research and review new software, cloud services and other third-party technologies
- Evaluate new technologies against competitors and validate the usability of said technologies
- Participate in Proof-of-Concept projects to achieve business objectives and goals
- Evangelize modern best practices around code quality, automated testing, and feature flag development
- Maintain a deep understanding of our digital media supply chain and how it interacts with upstream and downstream dependencies (people, processes, and systems)
- Work closely with other application developers, in a scaled-agile environment, to deliver creative solutions to complex technology challenges and business requirements
- Recommend and implement technical solutions, often to other development teams, in support of production application requirements
- Provide technical guidance, onboarding configurations, and general assistance to other developers integrating into our API’s and services
- Ensure infrastructure standards and best practices are followed
- Work with Operations and Engineering teams to deploy new software and support existing installations
- Work closely with other system administrators, application developers and production personnel to gain a thorough understanding of the architecture of the system being supported
- Serve as an escalation point for issues unresolved by Tier 1 and 2 support teams
- Work with content security, InfoSec and other security teams while planning new features or responding to security incidents
- Help to develop Support documentation and tools: standards, policies, procedures and recommended best practices for support personnel
- Contribute to cross-functional troubleshooting of complex issues, as needed
Required Education, Experience/Skills/Training:
- 5+ years of experience in web application development or software engineering in a fast-paced environment using modern frameworks and platforms (e.g., Serverless, Node, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka)
- Demonstrate considerable experience working with relational databases, NoSQL data stores and event streaming platforms
- Strong background working with open-source technologies and cloud native engineering principles and patterns
- Expertise with the full lifecycle of application development, including best practices of unit testing, code reviews, documentation, etc.
- Experience with cloud providers like Amazon Web Services
- Linux environment proficiency for building, deploying, and supporting applications
- Backend experience writing API’s and microservices; firm understanding of RESTful web services
- Frontend experience developing in to others’ back-end stacks
- Be an authentic and collaborative team player who takes pride in their work and strives to continuously improve
- Have excellent communication skills with strong personal integrity and the ability to work with diverse cultures and personalities and earn respect at all levels of the organization
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies. Can effectively articulate complex ideas and influence others through well-reasoned explanations
- BS Computer Science or related technical discipline or its equivalent
Additional desired qualifications
- Previous work experience in media production, post production, broadcast and/or distribution platforms
- Experience working with vendor teams to deliver high quality results
- Work with UDP acceleration technologies (Signiant, Aspera)
- Workflow orchestration/Job Queueing experience
- Knowledgeable in Amazon Web Services like EC2, SQS, S3, Lambdas, Elasticache, Terraform, ECS, etc.
- Hands-on experience with build and deployment technologies
- Experience with implementing and supporting high volume web systems or large transaction systems in a highly distributed environment
- Experience with Feature Flag development
- Knowledge of performance testing and application profiling
- Linux Scripting (Perl/Ruby/Bash)
- Advanced SQL syntax and optimization experience
- Digital and media asset management background
- Agile/Scrum development experience
- Strong curiosity about how Disney delivers the Magic and a desire to be a part of it
The hiring range for this remote position is $143,800 to $199,900 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.