Supervisor, Media EngineeringApply Now Apply Later Job ID 10078262 Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States / Town of Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology Date posted Feb. 01, 2024
Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology (DEE) is to delight consumers worldwide with the news, entertainment, and sports content they want most, with more choice, personalization, and convenience than ever before.
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s streaming and linear services, the DEE Engineering Services segment aligns technology, content, and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint to deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
DEE Technology is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in conjunction with ESPN; Disney+, the Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; global advertising sales and ad technology for all of Disney’s media properties, including ABC, ESPN, Freeform, FX Networks, National Geographic, and the Disney Channels; HotStar, the leading over-the-top streaming service in India; and the Company’s majority ownership stake in Hulu.
Disney Media Engineers have a clear charter: to transform the capability and flexibility of how Disney acquires, produces, and distributes content worldwide, all while ensuring the highest levels of quality, efficiency, and resiliency.
Disney Media Engineers often find themselves at the crossroads between hardware and software-based technology and must possess a comprehensive theoretical and practical understanding of the technology that powers the generation, monetization, and distribution of all forms of consumer- facing linear and digital video/audio content. Responsibility includes numerous systems such as Playout Technology, Studios, Production Control Rooms, Remote Production, Post-Production, Contribution/Distribution Systems, Networking, Cloud Compute, Production Software and Virtual Environment and more.
The Engineering Services Supervisor coordinates, diagnoses, and attempts to troubleshoot incoming employee and partner support calls, tickets, and web forms which includes assigning incident/tickets for Tier 1 level support for global media production and distribution systems such as satellite or broadcast and critical business applications that support DEE Tech’s mission. Dispatch/escalate issues to Tier 2 or 3 if unable to resolve quickly by Tier 1 support. Monitor the progress of critical incidents and advocate for each user that calls for assistance. Provides communication on behalf of business leadership to depts/teams/operations impacted and provide incident command. Document and ensure all critical incidents are closed and provide a running timeline of technical troubleshooting up and until resolution. Generate various reports. Maintain operational protocols/procedures for business/runbooks for all systems supported as well as operate the monitoring systems for crucial processes and workflows.
The Engineering Services Supervisor is also responsible for the day-to-day growth and leadership of their team. Executing against our team’s mission is critically important and being highly organized, driven to learn complicated technical systems and able to think quickly and react under highly stressful situations are all key attributes of a Supervisor. Likewise, a good Supervisor will exemplify leadership qualities that allow them to look beyond the day-to-day toward the overall growth of their team members.
Responsibilities and Duties of the Role:
- Oversee team scheduling making sure coverage is available for critical areas at all times.
- Regularly evaluate team members providing constructive feedback.
- Oversee the closure of incidents by team in a timely manner.
- Respond to and resolve issues that affect acquisition, production, and content distribution across multiple DEE networks including system outages, malfunctions, and related technical problems, and conduct diagnostic testing, repair, and replacement activities necessary to solve routine, specialized, and complex problems.
- Utilize system health and performance monitoring software and platforms; troubleshoot and participate in repairing system problems and failures, participates in maintenance of systems, installs software patches, updates etc., to resolve and avoid service problems, and troubleshoots system problems as they relate to these services
- Analyze and troubleshoot streaming audio/video signals in traditional SDI and IP 2110 essence flow routing environments.
- When required perform preventative maintenance on all broadcast systems and equipment, such as distribution systems, switchers, consoles, playout servers, cameras, robotics, electromechanical equipment, automation systems and radio facilities to ensure optimum broadcast performance.
- Participates in engineering projects at the direction of more experienced engineers.
- Reviews and contributes to system/workflow documentation.
- Support third-party service providers by enforcing the agreed upon scope of services within the various signed service agreements (i.e., full time, freelance, union agencies, maintenance providers, contractors, service providers, etc.).
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate technical staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline procedures.
- Support the procurement of equipment, supplies and materials for Media technology systems within budget guidelines; receive and maintain equipment and supplies.
- Support long range planning for future media technology needs, including capital improvements, to enhance production and distribution capabilities.
- Lead the development and implementation of policies and procedures regarding technology facilities with a focus on maximizing the integration of all systems to meet business, marketing, and entertainment goals.
- Lead operational support of all activities related to operating, maintaining, and programming the audio and video production/distribution systems across the enterprise and other connected properties.
- Participates in regular training and development objectives.
- Extraordinary influencer who is skilled at connecting the dots at the organization, strategy, program, project, and event levels. Able to persuade and change the thinking of others without damaging relationships.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, growth environment with minimal direction, delivering under tight deadlines while multitasking, prioritizing projects, and communicating priority updates to team members.
- Able to operate with limited resources, exhibit dispassionate critical-thinking, and creatively solve problems. Motivated and inventive, always finds a way forward—eternal optimist with a committed drive for contributing and making a difference.
- Any other duties needed to help achieve Business Objectives
Required Education, Experience/Skills/Training:
- 6+ years of previous and relevant experience in ensuring efficient sustainment, uptime, and overall stability of the technical environments of Media Engineering and live media production and distribution environments.
- Bachelor’s Degree in electrical engineering, computer science or equivalent major, and/or equivalent work experience.
- Expert level knowledge and experience with integrating, implementing, or refreshing broadcast control room equipment, including familiarity with modern broadcast cabling infrastructure used in broadcast environments.
- Proficient in SMPTE standards for broadcast television and video production/streaming environments with a current certification such as not limited to ST 292M, ST 424M, ST 2110, ST 2059, IEE1588, ST 2022-7, SCTE-104, etc.
- Advanced level knowledge and experience with on-prem and cloud-based storage and compute infrastructure platforms and current technological offerings. At least one foundational cloud certification required, including but not limited to Microsoft Certified: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals, CompTIA Cloud+, AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate.
- Advanced level knowledge and experience with compression techniques such as MPEG2/4, HEVC, JPEG 2000, and JPEG XS.
- Expert level knowledge and experience with Evertz software control systems such as frame control via VistaLink or Magnum, EQX/EXE routers, and their monitoring software VLPRO, SDVN, VIP, VUE, MVP.
- Advanced level knowledge and experience with major media systems and the vendors that supply them in areas such as asset management systems, file-based workflows, media acquisition, transcoding/encoding, graphics, and NAS/SAN technologies
- Expert level knowledge and experience with Nielsen (NACAT), VANC equipment, Linear Acoustics, and other related systems.
- Expert level knowledge and experience with coordinated receiver decoders IRDs, core devices, edge devices, timing of video and audio systems, audio and video media file formats are a plus.
- Ability to create, read and interpret AutoCad and other technical drawing/documentation tools.
- Demonstrated advanced troubleshooting and sustaining in one or more of the following:
- IP-based broadcast equipment including routers, switchers, audio boards, signal processers, encoder/decoder, video scalers, playback systems, etc.
- Studio technology includes video walls, cameras, VR set technology, image processing systems, touch screens, lighting, etc.
- File-based workflows like enterprise Media Asset Management systems (Cloud-based Cloud Compute or Local Network-based) including storage, compute, encode and distribution.
- Production control systems such as Imagine Communications or Grass Valley automation systems, Avid, Adobe, Viz, Dalet, Riedel trunking, Lawo, Calrec, Evertz, Ross and others.
- Transmission systems such as RF (Radio Frequency), Satellite Distribution, Fiber Distribution, etc.
- Proven track record for troubleshooting and sustainment knowledge of AWS Infrastructures and other cloud-based technologies including S3/Glacier storage and cloud compute (EC2) services.
- Physical requirements and work environment: Ability to climb ladders, work on raised structures and building roofs, operate areal lift platforms and have valid driver’s license.
About Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology:
Disney Entertainment and ESPN Technology (DE&E Technology) provides the technological backbone and product development for Disney’s two media business units, while helping to keep the company at the vanguard of innovation – enabling the Company to continuously leverage technology to enhance storytelling and creativity, while delivering scalability, flexibility, and efficiency for its businesses.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.