Bristol, CT - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 714175BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Oct. 23, 2019
Job Summary:Be involved in designing state of the art broadcast facilities for a global company that is at the forefront of technology. In this position, special emphasis is placed on design and implementation of all of ESPN’s content acquisition, origination, production, and distribution systems. The Associate Systems Engineer will also develop and document technical procedures, train systems support and operational personnel, and provide expertise in resolving complex technical issues.
Working at The Walt Disney Company inside DTCI-Technology is unlike anything else. That’s because we are always finding new ways to interact with guests/fans that are passionate about all platforms we support. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-To-Consumer & International (DTCI) is a new, global business segment for The Walt Disney Company with the mission of providing consumers around the world access to the content they want most, on the latest platforms, at a time of rapidly evolving consumer habits. Combining the Company’s direct-to-consumer streaming services – ESPN+, the Disney SVOD service coming in 2019 and its ownership stake in Hulu -- alongside Disney’s international media businesses, DTCI aligns cutting-edge technology with world-class content and beloved brands to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver highly-personalized entertainment experiences to diverse consumers around the world.
- Responsible for the design and implementation of ESPN’s television broadcast and related facilities. The scope of which will include new control rooms and studios, new equipment or equipment upgrades, facility relocation, and facility redesign.
- Collaborates closely with ESPN Operations’ management and key staff to assess facility needs
- Assists in project planning, scheduling and budgeting
- Collaborates closely with equipment manufacturers and vendors to understand the range of equipment that might be relevant to ESPN’s broadcasting facilities and operations.
- Assists in facility design, layout, evaluation of equipment alternatives, and equipment selection and configuration
- Generates software solutions for content creation, manipulation, encoding/transcoding and distribution. This is to include non-linear edit systems, video servers, storage solutions, file acquisition, file transcode, file transfer, media asset management and automation systems.
- Assists in the preparation of documents for Capital Equipment Requests
- Assists in equipment procurement, including specification development, vendor request preparation, capital budget conformance, equipment receipt and recording, and technical specification verification
- Oversees and coordinates assigned aspects of the construction of facilities and the installation of new equipment, including collaborating closely with installation engineers, equipment manufacturers and vendors, installation service contractors, ESS engineers, technical operations staff, and others involved in the projects.
- Monitors project progress periodically and takes corrective action as necessary to keep projects on track; updates project schedules, noting achievement of milestones, budget status, and issues requiring resolution
- Monitors facility/equipment manufacturers and vendors to ensure compliance with design specifications and contractual agreements
- Assists support and technical Operations teams in developing training programs for operators of the new facilities
- Responsible for the generation of documentation required to support and operate all company broadcast facilities.
- Identifies and solves technical issues that put deadlines and projects at risk
- Communicates with system design engineers to understand the requirements of selected hardware platforms.
- Provides project status updates to stakeholders and management.
- Confers with Sr. Design Engineers on evaluation and selection of appropriate hardware platforms.
- Assists in the identification and specification of broadcast system designs in order to solve a wide array of operational challenges presented by our customers
- Proficiency in AutoCAD
- Working knowledge of DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP, HTTP, UDP, SSL, and SNMP.
- Experience with Java, servlets and web applications.
- Oracle SQL Experience (PL/SQL), MySQL experience.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- 3- to 8-years broadcast engineering experience.
- Electrical or Computer Engineering, or Computer Science preferred
- BS in Engineering or Computer Science or a minimum of 5 years’ experience in broadcast facilities design and documentation
Additional Information:Imagine a career with an organization that brings smiles to millions every day. Imagine working with people whose passion for what they do is simply indescribable. We are The Walt Disney Company, live with a rich legacy of innovation, entertainment, and lifelong memories. With our vast array of both businesses and professionals, you will have the opportunity to join a team that is beloved around the world, and to find out how it feels to love what you do. We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you‘ve been looking for
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.