Transmission Specialist I
Bristol, CT - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 711856BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 15/10/2019
Job Summary:The Transmission team is seeking a Transmission Specialist I to join our team. The Transmission Specialist I is a public representative of the Transmission Department and of ESPN through routine communication and coordination with other departments and with outside service providers and affiliates. This position includes the hands-on operation of satellite, fiber, IP and cellular transport technologies, in a fast-paced “live” environment. You will be challenged to leverage your technical skills to solve diverse problems. This position will also manage highly complex, addressable satellite distribution systems for domestic and international ESPN networks, OTT and streaming Networks. Performance must be accurate, timely, and with a professional demeanor befitting this role.
- Responsible for the high-quality distribution, switching, and quality control monitoring of all full-time and occasional ESPN networks regardless of the format (linear television, digital, fiber, etc.).
- Act as “first line” technical liaison to Affiliates, ESPN clients, 3rd party providers, remote customers and Disney Streaming Services (DSS) to troubleshoot signal issues.
- Manage affiliate access based on contractual obligations. Ensures accuracy of blackout & regionalization information and accurate transmission of all feeds
- Setup, test, and monitor all contribution signals whether they are for any of ESPN’s networks throughout the globe or for highlight purposes.
- Signal processing to prepare Video, Audio, and Data content for use in ESPN production facilities including, video level and color adjustment, audio shuffling and level adjustment, lip-sync and video timing.
- Ability to adjust to live programming changes.
- Regularly interact with and provide excellent customer service to departments throughout ESPN and external customers.
- Keeps departmental management informed of equipment failures and operational concerns.
- Responsible for providing follow-up and concise reporting of issues and resolutions of the operation in a timely manner.
- Embraces new technologies.
- 1+ years of experience in transmission, technical television broadcast or related field
- Excellent written and oral communication, organization, problem solving and computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a deadline-oriented live television environment
- Availability to work in a 24 x 7 environment including weekends and holidays
- High School Diploma or equivalent technical school graduate
- A College Technical degree or comparable experience in communications, electronics, satellite/antenna or RF theory, compression distribution systems, fiber / optical technology or broadcast television related experience.
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Direct-to-Consumer and International, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.