Transmission Specialist I
Bristol, Connecticut, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 778574BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Mar. 25, 2021
Working at The Walt Disney Company inside DMED-Technology is unlike anything else. That’s because we are always finding new ways to interact with guests/fans that are passionate about all platforms we support. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas, and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
The Bristol DMED Transmission Team supports the 24X7 engineering and operational sustainment for the ESPN Cable Networks and ABC satellite distribution, along with direct support of The Woodlands Transmission Team (The Woodlands, TX) which is responsible for satellite distribution of the FX/NatGeo, and Disney family of Networks.
As a member of our 24/7, highly-skilled, Bristol Transmission Team, you can expect to work with cutting-edge technology and be responsible for high-profile content in supporting our linear and digital networks. In 2019 our transmission team acquired over 150K contributions feeds in support of studio shows and live sports for ESPN, ABC, and our digital offerings on ESPN Plus and ESPN 3.
If you are looking for an operational tempo in which you will be challenged every day to work at a high-level, on high profile events, the Bristol Transmission Team is the right place to bring your talents, experience, and expertise!
- Demonstrates a sound understanding of signal measurement and procedures.
- Has fundamental knowledge of MPEG-2, MPEG4 & HEVC digital compression systems
- Has knowledge of IP-based transport (HLS, RTMP, SRT, unicast, multicast, etc.)
- Interacts with internal departments and outside service providers to plan for large-scale or seasonal events.
- Responsible for follow-up and resolution of specific daily operational problems, working closely with other DMED / ESPN departments and outside business partners. Recommends corrective actions where appropriate.
- Performs quality control and corrective action to enhance the product.
- Expected to fully comprehend applicable SOPs and subsequent workflows for assigned areas
- Builds a working knowledge and operational functionality of the applicable automation systems that support our Evertz IRM Operating system.
- Basic understanding of streaming technology and workflow associated with our digital offerings (E+ & E3)
- Participates in inter-departmental meetings involving issues affecting the Transmission department.
- Assists with special projects as assigned by department management.
- Stays up to date on industry trends and new technology
- As there are several disciplines and areas of expertise required in transmission, such as Video, RF, IP transport stream analysis, affiliate reception issues, FCC compliance, becoming proficient with all tools and signal flows will be required
- Provides general suggestions on modifying procedures and processes for more streamlined workflow
- Takes diagnostic and corrective actions to correct transmission problems associated with a contribution or distribution signals
- Monitors Network signals and initiates corrective actions either with transmission support or outside departments
- Learns technology and workflow to support assignments
- Complies fully with the company and/or departmental SOPs and any other stated policies
- Contributes to analysis or problem-solving measures needed to support the operation
- Must be adept at understanding routine information and demonstrate comprehension through operational accuracy
- Stay up to date on industry trends and “next-gen” Technology
- Able to work a 24/7 schedule, in a fast-paced, high-profile Technical Operations Center (TOC)
- Demonstrates high-quality citizenship and teamwork to get the job done!
- Typically has 1-3 years of experience in television broadcast, military, or related fields.
- Has awareness of digital distribution equipment used in audio and video satellite uplinked and downlinked television broadcast transmission
- Has awareness of MPEG-2, MPEG4, or HEVC digital compression systems.
- Has awareness of encryption systems used for front-haul and back-haul transmission applications
- Has basic knowledge of RF-related test equipment
- Must have basic computer skills in Microsoft office applications.
- Has basic knowledge of IP-based transport (HLS, RTMP, unicast, multicast, etc.).
- Has basic knowledge Bonded-Cellular technology.
- Is a modestly experienced technical individual contributor with good skills in working in a 24 X 7 technical operation center (TOC)
- College technical degree, military experience or equivalent practical experience preferred.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.