Transmission Specialist II
Bristol, CT - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 711692BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business ESPN Date posted 15/10/2019
- Responsible for the high-quality distribution, switching, and quality control monitoring of all full-time and occasional ESPN networks regardless of the format (linear television, digital, fiber, etc.).
- Work closely with Managers of Transmission, Affiliate Business Operations, Programming, Network Operations, Content Integration, Network Traffic, and the ESPN Assignment Desk to implement correct allocation and distribution of ESPN program signals.
- Act as “first line” technical liaison to Affiliates, ESPN clients, 3rd party providers, remote customers and Disney Streaming Services (DSS) to troubleshoot signal issues.
- Manage affiliate access based on contractual obligations. Ensures accuracy of blackout & regionalization information and accurate transmission of all feeds
- Setup, test, and monitor all contribution signals whether they are for any of ESPN’s networks throughout the globe or for highlight purposes.
- Signal processing to prepare Video, Audio, and Data content for use in ESPN production facilities including, video level and color adjustment, audio shuffling and level adjustment, lip-sync and video timing.
- Monitors Network signals and initiates corrective actions either with Transmission support or outside departments.
- Provide general suggestions on modifying procedures and processes for more streamline workflow.
- Ability to adjust to live programming changes.
- Regularly interact with and provide excellent customer service to departments throughout ESPN and external customers.
- Keeps departmental management informed of equipment failures and operational concerns.
- Responsible for follow-up and resolution of daily operational problems through direct communication with other ESPN departments and outside companies.
- Embraces new technologies.
- 2+ years of experience in transmission, technical television broadcast or related field
- Excellent written and oral communication, organization, problem solving and computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a deadline-oriented live television environment
- Availability to work in a 24 x 7 environment including weekends and holidays
- Minimum 3 years demonstrated broadcast technical operations experience in a medium or large market
- Ability to work within a high-pressured deadline oriented team environment
- Familiarity with television transmission operations, MPEG and JPEG Codec and ASI stream analyzers
- Has fundamental knowledge of RF and related test equipment
- Has fundamental knowledge of fiber DTM technology
- Knowledge of network protocols (TCP/IP, DNS, etc.)
- Understands encryption systems used for front-haul/back-haul transmission applications
- High School Diploma or equivalent technical school graduate
- A College Technical degree or comparable experience in communications, electronics, satellite/antenna or RF theory, compression distribution systems, fiber / optical technology or broadcast television related experience.
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN, Inc, which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.