Vice President, Content Platform Engineering
Bristol, CT - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 703362BR Location Bristol, Connecticut, United States; Burbank, California, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 11/09/2019
This multi-faceted role will be responsible for understanding business strategies of our executive-level stakeholders and identifying/implementing the right technology roadmap that will effectively support these objectives. This leader should be able to drive technology strategy for these business units, transitioning from a project-based approach to strategic investments that drive business outcomes.
The right person for this role will be an effective leader who equally possesses business & technical acumen, demonstrates sound judgment, and can inspire a team to reach new heights, while still promoting a positive work culture. In order to be successful, the correct candidate will be a transformational business-minded technology executive with exceptionally strong relationship skills and ability to successfully collaborate cross functionally to create and drive technology-enabled strategy and solutions.
The Vice President will be based in one of our primary engineering centers and will have teams reporting to them from across all locations, including Los Angeles, Seattle, New York and Bristol.
- In partnership with Business Relationship Management & Platform Product Management teams, understand product roadmaps & deliver best in class services for the existing and new portfolio of systems and projects to serve internal clients across The Walt Disney Company.
- ‘Connects the dots’ between and keeping pace with technology developments, business/financial forecasts, competitive landscape, evolving customer needs, and initiative goals/deadlines.
- Ability to lead a significant transformation in the media business technology platforms and technical talent.
- Execute and manage the full life cycle of client-specific technology solutions, including initial definition and build out and post launch evolution
- Drives automation and self-service capabilities to enable business and technical productivity and speed.
- Anticipates and manages the risks associated with day-to-day technology operations. Ensures ongoing operational stability of the current applications and systems.
- Actively works to build and mentor a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and skilled team; communicating career paths, training and development.
- Deliver innovative solutions in an agile environment leading a diverse team of onsite and offshore resources
- Lead change management activities and provide strong leadership by encouraging diversity of thought, focusing on employee development and performance, and ensuring teams continually push the envelope on new technology, processes and skills. Identify and grow talent to ultimately build a team of highly motivated technologists
- 10+ years leadership experience in the Media & Entertainment industry
- Demonstrated track record of creating a vision, gaining buy-in to the vision, and effectively implementing systems
- Ability to navigate a complex organizational structure, leading teams through influence and direct line management.
- Proven ability to build and motivate a team to achieve well-communicated expectation
- Ability to lead teams in understanding business needs, and translating into deliverables based on business priority
- Strategic thinker, visionary, and change manager
- Experience managing large operating and capital budgets
- Proven ability to manage complex vendor, supplier, sub-contractor relationships
- Strong negotiating and consensus building abilities.
- Strong communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills in relation to delivery of large enterprise technology programs
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.