2022 Talent Development Program - General Technical Director TraineeApply NowApply Later Job ID 845911BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Aug. 23, 2021
The Technical Director Trainee
Technical Directors strategize solutions to a range of production and pipeline issues. You’ll exercise your technical skills to write scripts, adapt tools, and modify workflows in support of artistic endeavors. You will work directly with artists and software developers to solve problems and implement new techniques.
As a Technical Director Trainee, the first three to four months of your program are structured to introduce you to the processes and tools of our filmmaking, our studio culture, and our production environment. These initial months will showcase the skills and philosophies of our Technical Director department while providing you nurturing mentorship with a Disney developer. A 3-4 month review provides you with real-time feedback and determines future assignments and promotional opportunities that would bring your skills into real-time production environments.
- Experience with commercial graphics packages including Maya, Houdini and Global Illumination Lighting packages
- Experience with scripting including Python and MEL
- Experience with the Linux or Unix operating system
- Solid understanding of the production processes and pipelines of CG Animation, VFX or Video Game productions
- Solid overview of element production and shot production phases including modeling, rigging, animation, layout, look development and lighting/rendering Strong problem solving skills required
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment, taking direction well
- Experience with C or C++ development or shader writing (RSL) a plus
- Understanding of stereoscopic concepts and production processes a plus
Am I Eligible To Apply? We're looking for:
- 18 years or older
- Emerging developers with less than 5 years experience in the Animation Industry
- Recent graduates - Degree in computer science, related field, or equivalent experience
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Secret Lab, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
The Secret Lab is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.