Animation Studios - Distributed Systems Software Intern, Summer 2020
Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 714535BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted 12/11/2019
Job Summary:Over the years, our films and stories continue to grow in complexity as our artists push the boundaries of filmmaking and technology. To support this growth, the technology teams at Walt Disney Animation Studios strive to build scalable systems that underpin the data, data movement and computation behind every pixel of our films. As part of this vision, we have taken advantage of off-site resources for rendering and are developing new technologies in-house to improve data management and tracking at scale on top of industry-standard technologies such as Kubernetes, Docker, etc.
When rendering off-site, a lot of data is transferred to and from our data centers to fulfill I/O requirements of our render jobs. Given network latency, this data transfer has high overhead and causes noticeable performance issues. As we explore different storage technologies and methods to divide read and write patterns of our data, we are looking for an intern to experiment with heuristic-driven targeted replication of immutable data to different storage backends, tiers and data centers driven by performance needs of applications, current submitted workload, and system load to increase the availability of our data.
Responsibilities:The internship consists of multiple parts:
- Designing, developing and deploying a data replication service that integrates into our production file metadata tracking system,
- Designing and implementing a client facing API to select and read replicas,
- Collaborating with production teams to design a system to drive replication based on configurable heuristic policies, such as queue feedback, etc.
- Work closely with team members to architect, develop and deploy a service to coordinate data moving
- across data centers and storage engines
- Collaborate with team members and peers in platform engineering to explore and test storage technologies
- with the intent of guiding future usage
- Collaborate with peers in platform engineering to understand current and envisioned storage architectures
- and render queue heuristics with the intent to inform future heuristics
- Interview and partner with technical directors and artists to understand affected workflows
- Strong understanding of data structures and programming foundations
- Experience with Go, Python, and C/C++
- Experience with service development and deployment (Kubernetes, Docker, Helm)
- Ability to work independently with guiding direction
- Ability to communicate technical ideas effectively to a technical and non-technical audience
- Interest in service-based development in a production environment
- Working understanding of different storage technologies (object store, NFS, pNFS, etc.)
Required EducationSophomore, Junior or Senior Level undergraduate student or recent graduate (within 6 months of graduation) pursuing a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or related field.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within the past 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
The approximate dates of this internship are May/June 2020 - August/September 2020. Interns must be available to work full-time for the duration of the internship.
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2013's Academy Award®-winning Frozen, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.