Animation Studios - Meander Drawing Software Intern, Summer 2020
Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 714530BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted 01/11/2019
Job Summary:At Walt Disney Animation Studios we have a deep commitment to the philosophy that creativity inspires technology, and technology inspires creativity. Engineers in our Production Technology department are charged with developing and implementing new algorithms to solve unique and challenging problems for all of our movies. We do this working alongside a user base that shares a building with us, and uses the code we develop to make our feature films.
Responsibilities:The intern for this project will be working with Meanderkit, an in-house drawing framework for applications used at Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar. At Disney Animation, we are continuing to expand the use of Meanderkit while still heavily relying on it for day-to-day production work.
For a more in-depth look at the Meanderkit Framework and the Academy Award®- winning Meander Application it is based upon, please visit this link:
In this internship, we are looking to explore different optimizations of Meanderkit’s rendering engine. Specifically, we would like to investigate and test implementations of various curve decimation algorithms, and add support for Apple's Metal renderer by:
- Familiarizing yourself with the Meanderkit code base
- Investigating different types of curve decimation algorithms, weighing pros and cons of each
- Collaborating with your mentor and software team daily to help with achieving your goals
- Developing a methodology to determine required accuracy of decimation algorithm
- Implementing and testing different decimation algorithms. Tests should show before and after results with pictures and comparisons across multiple factors.
- Re-implementing a portion of the Meanderkit’s built-in renderer with Apple’s Metal renderer.
- Creating tests showing before and after results of the switch to Apple’s renderer with pictures and timing comparisons
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong C++ programming skills
- Experience with OpenGL
- Familiarity with Linux and/or MacOS based development tools
- Familiarity with mathematics of curve and spline representations
- Experience with Apple’s Metal Renderer
- Experience with Git or another version control software
Required EducationJunior, Senior, Graduate Level student or recent graduate (within 6 months of graduating) pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Graphics, Applied Mathematics or related field.
Additional Information:Internship Eligibility:
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within the past 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
The approximate dates of this internship are May/June 2020 - August/September 2020. Interns must be available to work full-time for the duration of the internship.
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2013's Academy Award®-winning Frozen, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.