Animation Studios - Real-Time Rendering Intern, Summer 2020
Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 714529BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted 01/11/2019
In this role, you will partner with artists, production and technology leadership, technical directors, cross-team software engineers, and other technologists and researchers across the Walt Disney Studios. You will be designing and implementing innovative workflows and state of the art solutions motivated by our new long-term vision for Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Responsibilities:As part of a small but focused real-time rendering team you will work with developers to provide real-time preview rendering and interaction capabilities for artists. This will test your skills in OpenGL and C++ coding, real-time rendering, and collaboration as you explore new ways to preview the final-quality film assets in real-time. The goal of the internship will be to extend preview rendering capabilities to allow artists to efficiently interact with their scene data. This may include tasks such as prototyping:
- Real-Time Rendering Architectures
- Ambient Occlusion algorithms
- Motion Blur approaches
- Vulkan implementations
- Onion Skinning features
- Anti-Aliasing implementations
- Real-Time Area Lights and Shadows
- Proficiency in C++, ideally C++11/14
- Experience with 3D graphics APIs such as OpenGL or DirectX or Vulkan
- Proficiency in Shading Languages such as GLSL, HLSL
- The ability to quickly produce clear, testable code
- Understanding of the importance of performant solutions for user interaction
- Good problem solving, troubleshooting and debugging skills
- Understanding of computer graphics foundational concepts, and algorithms
- Good mathematical fundamentals, including linear algebra and numerical methods
- Knowledge of animation, graphics techniques and algorithms
- Familiarity with current research in Real-Time Rendering
- Understanding of coding for GPU architectures eg CUDA, OpenCL
- Experience with multi-threading APIs such as Intel’s TBB and OpenMP
- Familiarity with USD and Hydra
- Junior, Senior, or Graduate Level student pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's Degree from an accredited college or university in a Computer Graphics, Computer Science, Engineering, or related field.
Additional Information:Internship Eligibility:
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within the past 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
The approximate dates of this internship are May/June 2020 - August/September 2020. Interns must be available to work full-time for the duration of the internship.
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2013's Academy Award®-winning Frozen, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.